Golden Pass Lucerne to Gelmersee?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 July 2018 at 19:52:45 #817050

Hi guys,

I plan to go to Gelmer lake (Gelmerbahn) from Lucerne. I was looking for how to get there, I found that I need to take the train from Lucerne and get off on Meiringen, then take the Postbus and get off on Handegg. But, I read that there is the panoramic train from Lucerne to Interlaken (Golden pass). So, I would like to know if is possible to get off on Meiringen by Goldenpass? I read that the train changes direction in Meiringen.

I think that way, I would enjoy more than regular train. Anyone has other sugestion?

I have a 2 nd class Swiss pass. This route is free with Swiss pass, isn’t?

Thank you for help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2018 at 0:13:50 #890087

Hi Rafael,

All trains from Luzern to Interlaken Ost through Meiringen follow the Golden Pass route, and all have large windows, so it doesn’t matter which train you take.

You can get off at any station along the way, including Meiringen.

Yes, this route is free with the Swiss Travel Pass, as is the PostBus from Meiringen to Handegg. However, I don’t think the Swiss Travel Pass covers the Gelmerbahn, not even for a discount – but there’s no harm in asking them when you get there.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2018 at 5:47:53 #890088

Hi Rafael,

No, the Gelmerbahn itself is not included or discounted by the Swiss Travel Pass: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

See more details on the Golden Pass here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/goldenpass

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2018 at 11:13:54 #890089

Lucas and Alpenrose,

Thank you for your reply. That way, I must pay for Gelmerbahn by myself.

I read on this link that The train changes direction in Meiringen, now my question is if is possible get off at Meiringen station or if the train just change the direction by Golden Pass.

Thank you in advance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2018 at 15:09:04 #890090

Oh yes, you can get off there. You can use the timetable to plan the trip. It will tell you where to change trains etc.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2018 at 16:32:31 #890091

Thank you again, Lucas.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 0:34:07 #890092

First of all, ignore the phrase GoldenPass in this instance.

Current tourist branding can be confusing

The Luzern – Interlaken railway is actually the Brunig Pass (the true Goldenpass is just the MOB railway Zweisimmen – Montreux).

The Luzern – Meiringen – Interlaken line is the Brünig pass line operated by Zentralbahn (ZB), which dubs the regular trains “Luzern – Interlaken Express’. Just take one of these trains and get off at Meiringen. Due to the geography of the area the lines from Luzern and Interlaken approach Meiringen from the same direction, so the trains must reverse direction in Meiringen station

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 0:43:25 #890093

It took me a while to understand that, it is a little confused, but now I understand that the Golden pass is divided into 3 sections, the first section is Lucerne to Interlaken Ost, which is regular train, the real Golden pass is this one that you commented. I will get off at Meiringen.

Thank you for your explanation.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 5:44:10 #890094

Yes. Marketing can get confusing! 🙂

You are all set it seems. Have a great trip! I’m hoping to get to the Gelmersee in the coming weeks as well – looks brilliant.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 13:27:10 #890095

Thank you!! I can’t wait for that…The lake looks amazing.

• The thread ‘Golden Pass Lucerne to Gelmersee?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.