Goldenpass with Eurail Select Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2016 at 22:26:09 #808683

Hi,

I read that with the Eurail Select Pass, the Goldenpass is free from Montreux to Lucerne. But is it also free in the opposite direction from Lucerne to Montreux?

Which direction would provide a better view and is there a big difference in the views from the different direction. E.g view from Lucerne to Montreux is much better than from Montreux to Lucerene?

Also, I was looking at the timetable, is a transfer time of 8 mins at Zweisimmen possible? We have 2 luggages and 3 young kids. Are there many platforms at Zweisimmen?

Is Zweisimmen worth a stop to look around or are there any other interesting towns in between that’s worth a 1-2hr stop to look around?

Thank you so much for your help.

Kareen

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2016 at 0:12:43 #849649

Hi Kareen,

If you have a travel pass allowing free travel on that route it will be free in both directions.

Zweisimmen is not a large station so 8 minutes should be plenty of time to change trains.

A prettier place to wander around for a while would be in my opinion Brienz on the stretch between Interlaken and Lucerne. Check the timetable to see the times but I believe they are every hour from Brienz to Lucerne so you could stay for one hour or two. You could leave the luggage at the station – I think there are lockers there but you can check that out on the sbb website as well.

I don’t think it matters which direction you choose – it depends on the rest of your plans which is more convenient. When we travel that route from Lucerne we sit on the right side in direction of travel – so do the reverse in reverse direction! I don’t know the other sections of the route quite as well so can’t advise.

Enjoy the ride.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2016 at 7:39:43 #849650

Thank you!

• The thread ‘Goldenpass with Eurail Select Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.