Gornergrat and Sunnegga / 5 Lakes Hike in 1 day

• melissaluv
    Participant
    9 posts
    25 August 2019 at 13:15:30 #823575

Hi there,

My family and I will be staying in Zermatt for 3 nights. We plan to do Gornergrat and Sunnegga + 5 Lakes Hike in a day. Would you recommend doing Gornergrat first in the morning? Or Sunnegga + the hike first?

Thanks in advance!

Melissa

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

ioana
    Participant
    81 posts
    25 August 2019 at 14:40:04 #920958

You have more time on the mountain to enjoy everything and don’t rush on either mountain, if you go first and do the 5 Lakes Trail and then take the train to Gornergrat. This is beacuse the last funicular from Sunnegga to Zermatt is at 18:00, while the last train from Gornergrat to Zermatt is at 21:24.

But you should also take into account that in the morning there are better chances for clear skies and views, so if you feel like the views from Gornergrat are more important to you, then it might be better to leave early in the morning (first train at 7:24) and go there first.

Also see:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/preparation
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

melissaluv
    Participant
    9 posts
    25 August 2019 at 15:15:06 #920959

Thanks Ioana for the reply! I think we will do the hike first followed by Gornergrat later in the day, as you suggested.

• The thread ‘Gornergrat and Sunnegga / 5 Lakes Hike in 1 day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.