Gotthard Panorama Express 2nd class

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2017 at 3:24:19 #810755

Hi, I will be travelling from Lugano to Lucerne on Wednesday 31 May 2017. I will have a second class Swiss Rail Pass and wish to travel by train to Fluelen and then boat to Lucerne. I am having trouble accessing correct timetable information on this website for this journey.

My questions are:

Does the Gotthard Panorama express have a second class car and do I have to make a reservation?

Are there standard trains that take the same route as the Panorama express and do the travel times differ?

Will I have to change trains on any part of the journey?

Where can I search for timetables?

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 February 2017 at 10:22:25 #858757

Hi Sandrew and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Our Gotthard Panorama Express page should be able to answer all your questions :).

Yes, there are 2nd class seats for you. Here is specific information on costs (you must pay a surcharge for this train which includes a reservation). The base fare is included with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Other trains can do a similar route (Flüelen to Bellinzona) but will be routed through the newly opened Gotthard Tunnel (56km) so you will miss a lot of scenery!

Search for timetables here. Before July 1 the Gotthard Panorama Express only operates on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays departing Luzern at 11:12 (be sure to select this train as it notes on the website it is the Gotthard Panorama Express and no changes (except from the boat to the train after Lake Luzern.)

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2017 at 2:54:15 #858758

Hi Lucas

Thanks for your reply. As we will be travelling on a Wednesday (31 May) we won’t be able to take the panoramic train.

Are there any trains that we can take to avoid the new long tunnel or does every train go that way?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2017 at 10:04:48 #858759

Hi Sandrew,

You will need to take a tunnel if you go along that route but you can go with the older shorter one if you choose. Take a look at this map to see the alternate route you can choose.

When using the timetable use Göschenen or Erstfeld as the via train station (under advanced search). You can also click on map to see the route and even live locations of current trains!

Also, take a look other panoramic trains in Switzerland that run more frequently….if you want/can adjust your trip.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2017 at 10:03:44 #858760

Hi Lucas,

I searched for this train dated 22/Apr/2017 ( from Lugano to Lucerne from 08:00 ) but the search results didn’t show this train.

can you please check and clarify ?

Thanks & Regards,

Vikram

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2017 at 10:16:49 #858761

Hi VikramVI,

This train doesn’t go all the way to Lugano until July 3. Prior to that it only goes as far as Bellinzona. Try searching for that. You’ll find it leaves Bellinzona at 11:37.

Here is an easy to read timetable with Swiss Railway

Cheers,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 February 2017 at 20:29:56 #858762

Hey Lucas,

Thanks for clarifications.

Regards,

Vikram

• The thread ‘Gotthard Panorama Express 2nd class’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.