When to buy tickets for Gotthard Panorama Express?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2018 at 13:51:51 #814644

I am planning to travel on the Gotthard Panorama Express on May 31. When do you think I should purchase the tickets for 4 of us. We are interested in buying first class. I have read on these forums that there may be discounts offered now and again.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2018 at 17:00:47 #877903

Hi pollyburks,

I’ve noticed that you’ve asked the question before. Here’s the link to your thread: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/purchasing-tickets-for-gotthard-panorama-express.

I’m not aware of discounted point-to-point tickets for the Gotthard Panorama Express. Or are you referring to a discount on the Swiss Travel Pass? If so, please be advised that you can reserve your seats without having purchased that pass yet. Discounts offered on the Swiss Travel Pass are rare by the way.

I would reserve seats as soon as possible because there’s only one departure a day and can be sold out fast.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2018 at 22:45:34 #877904

SBB and Happy Rail have conflicting information. Happy Rail says that Gotthard Panorama Express is only operating: 14 April to 30 June on Saturday and Sunday, July-October daily , where SBB says it is daily from 30 Mar to 02 Apr 2018 and Tuesday to Sunday from 21 Apr to 14 Oct 2018. Wondering which is correct.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 March 2018 at 23:07:06 #877905

As I said on your earlier thread this is the definitive timetable http://www.myswissalps.com/do cs/systemlibrariesprov ider/rail/47f61e0e-64bd-4acb-92f3-ded8962590eb.jpeg?sfvrsn=0

Anyway, if you look up the SBB timetable for the day you plan to travel it will tell you whether the train runs that day.

You can make reservations for 31 May here http://www.sbb.ch/ticketshop/ b2c/adw.do?sprache=en&artikelnumm er=1993. You haven’t told us which direction you are travelling so I’ve assumed you are going from Lugano but if not reverse the route.

You need to fill out details as per attached. You want the 9:32 departure from Lugano. Reservation costs CHF24/seat.

You can’t reserve the steamer portion of the trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2018 at 22:10:01 #877906

Thank you for all of your patience with me on this. I see where I can purchase a seat reservation for Fluelen to Lugano (we are traveling South) for 24. Then how do I buy the actual ticket – I will not have a Swiss travel pass. Also, since as you say I cannot reserve a seat on the boat, do I need to worry that I will not be able to get on the boat portion. Again thank you so much for baring with my questions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 March 2018 at 22:17:24 #877907

No problems Polly.

You can buy a ticket at any Swiss train station or using the SBB timetable from 30 days before your travel.

The boat will not be a problem. If you want to access the upper deck and restaurant on the boat you’ll need a 1st Class Ticket.

• The thread ‘When to buy tickets for Gotthard Panorama Express?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.