Gotthard Panorama Express day trip from Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2018 at 2:25:16 #815298

Hi

WE will be staying in Lucern for four days.

Can we do Gotthard Panorama Express day trip and return to our hotel same day .

What is duration of time needed and are tickets covered in swiss rqil pass.

Regards,

Minal

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 April 2018 at 9:51:49 #882148

Hello Minal and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Yes you can. There is only one Gotthard Panorama Express in each direction each day (see timetable attached) but if times don’t suit you can take the same route on regular trains. In that case you need to take a boat from Luzern to Flüelen and then train to Lugano via Göschenen. Or reverse.

My preference would be to take an early fast train from Luzern to Lugano in time to catch the 9:23 departure of the GPEX to Luzern. Go the other way if you want to spend a few hours n Lugano and don’t mind how late you get back to Luzern.

The trip is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass but the Gotthard Express train requires an additional surcharge which gets you a seat reservation.

The GPEX does not run on Mondays!

Use the Swiss Train Timetable to plan your travel. If you are not familiar with the timetable it will pay to first read these instructions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 6:50:39 #882149

Hi,

Thanks for the attached timetable. But as per timetable we will reach Lugano on Day 1 at 14.38 and we can start at 9.38 on Day 2 at the earliest.

But I would like to know if we can complete in single day as in Luzern –> Lugano –> Luzern.

Regards,

Minal

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 April 2018 at 7:01:29 #882150

You mean 16:38 and 9:23.

As per my previous post you can go Luzern – Lugano – Luzern in one day but you can’t, nor should you want to, take the GPEX in both directions on one day.

You just need to decide whether you want to take early morning train to Lugano and start GPEX there at 9:23. Or take GPEX from Luzern to Lugano and catch a fast train departing after 16:38 back to Luzern.

If there is not a GPEX departure time that appeals to you you can still cover the same route using regular trains and boats. Check the SBB Timetable.

amarmistry
    Participant
    35 posts
    26 April 2018 at 20:12:36 #882151

Hi Minal/rockyoster

Apologies for jumping into this conversation but I am in the same boat (no pun intended) about a day trip from Lucerne to Lugano via GPEX.

Thinking of starting in Lucerne in the morning by GPEX to Lugano and spend few hours there and take regular train back to Lucerne.

What are some of the things to do in Lugano?

Is there a specific reason one should just go early morning to Lugano via regular train and catch 9:23 GPEX back to Lucerne?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 April 2018 at 21:08:21 #882152

What you can do in Lugano will depend entirely on how late you are prepared to get back to Lucerne.

If you only have a couple of hours then a wander about the town and along the lakeside is about all you’ll have time for. Maybe Monte Bre at a push.

My preference to catch the fast train in the morning was simply based on a desire to get back to Lucerne in time for dinner.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2018 at 2:38:19 #882153

Hi amarmistry,

Have a read through my trip report in the Ticino region for some ideas and pics. 🙂

• The thread ‘Gotthard Panorama Express day trip from Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.