Gotthard Panorama Express – seat reservations

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 August 2017 at 17:56:53 #812831

Hello, I will be taking the Gotthard Panorama Express on September 17th on a Sunday so I will be leaving from Bellinzona to take the Express to Lucerne.

• On the Happyrail site (http://www.happyrail.com) to purchase the Gothard Express reservations, do you select seats after you pay? There’s no option to select seats before purchase.
    • Is it best to sit on the right or left side of the train for the best views (going up to Lucerne)? And does it matter if I’m in the front or back of the car?
    • Does second class have panoramic windows? as I will be using the second class Swiss Pass.
    • If 2nd class doesn’t have panoramic windows, is it still worth paying mandatory reservations for? Or should I just take regular trains on the same route?
    • How much more time approx.would be added to the trip if I were to take the local route?

I see there’s a related post: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/gotthard-panorama-express-6 to use the time table for the scenic route route from Lugano to Lucerne (with the regional trains via Göschenen and Airolo, not the fast direct trains.) but I don’t think I am doing this right. I enter in the timetable, From: Lugano To: Lucerne Via Göschenen?

Thanks!!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2017 at 6:03:59 #867816

Hi Chyna!

• Yes, you can’t actually select specific seats when you make reservations on the Gotthard Panorama Express. I believe there is an option to select your preference (window etc.) but I’m not 100% sure on that. For groups, they will automatically make the reservations together so that won’t be a problem.
    • No, 2nd class doesn’t have panoramic windows strangely enough.
    • You can use the timetable to compare train times. You are correct for finding the regional train on the timetable: search for the train schedules between Flüelen and Bellinzona: enter the via-station Göschenen to be sure to travel via the right route
      (http://www.myswissalps .com/gotthardpanoramae xpress/gettingthere).
    • The train times are quite similar I believe – around 2 hours.

I hope that sorts everything out for you.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Gotthard Panorama Express – seat reservations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.