Gotthard Panorama Express midweek in May?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2017 at 11:01:38 #811343

We will be traveling to Interlaken mid May. We planned to travel on the Gotthard Panaramo to Como on May 17 but I recently saw the Gotthard doesn’t operate mid week until July. We want to take a scenic route, but what are the alternatives? We will have stayed two days in Lucerne already so we can take the boat ride on the lake a few days earlier. Is there a scenic but quicker route to Como if we bypass the boat to Fluelen? Perhaps head in another direction? We have only the one night in Como before going on to Venice in the morning, so I don’t want to arrive there too late.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2017 at 16:40:28 #861225

Hi Lnbsmith,

You can follow the same scenic route as the Gotthard Panorama Express from Fluelen on the regular trains – it just won’t be a ‘panoramic’ train car. That is probably still the most scenic option for you to Como.

To search for train options on this route, go to the timetable page here, and enter Flüelen and Bellinzona. Once you get the results you will need to enter the via-station Göschenen to be sure to travel via the right
    route (otherwise you take the very UN-scenic Gotthard tunnel).

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 April 2017 at 10:13:48 #861226

Hi Lucas,

How does the Lötschberg/Cenotovalli, Interlaken – Spiez – Brig – Domodosola – Locarno – Bellinzona – Como, compare in scenic value to the Luzern – Göschenen – Como (non GPE) trip?

This guy jerrygarrett.wordpress .com/2013/03/15/switze rlands-eight-greatest-train-rides/ said the Centovalli was a revelation (or words to that effect).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2017 at 17:27:51 #861227

I haven’t been on those trips to compare unfortunately!

I’ll check with Arno to see if he has seen both areas! Most train trips you will find in this country don’t disappoint!

Lucas

Annika
    7124 posts
    11 April 2017 at 18:57:53 #861228

Hi Rockoyster,

I’m not sure what you mean with “non GPE trip”, as the route Luzern-Göschenen-Lake Como is pretty much the Gotthard Panorama Express route. You may mean using regular trains rather than the panoramic Gotthard Panorama Express trains? Assuming this is the route you’d like to compare to the Centovallli line: it’s actually pretty hard to compare them, as they’re different and both charming in their own way. The Centovalli line is very romantic. It’s a small train crossing lots of valleys on high viaducts, through a forested, green, landscape with an Italian atmosphere. Mountains are less high than along the Gotthard Panorama Express route, and I’d say the Gotthard Panorama Express in all offers more diversity in scenery and landscapes.

I hope this helps!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 April 2017 at 22:27:05 #861229

Hi Annika,

You have interpreted and answered my query perfectly. Much appreciated.

• The thread ‘Gotthard Panorama Express midweek in May?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.