Gotthard Panorama Express or other scenic trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2019 at 20:37:12 #819892

Hi to all. I am trying to figure out my itinerary and which rail pass I need. I was planning to go from Lucern to Lugano on Monday, September 2. I just read that the Gotthard Panoramic Express runs every day, except Mondays! Is that correct and if so, what other options for a scenic trip are available?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 February 2019 at 21:21:48 #904073

Hello Deborah and Welcome to MySwissAlps

That is indeed correct. No Gotthard Panorama Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress) on Mondays.

But fear not, you can still replicate the route by catching the paddle steamer from Luzern to Flüelen and then taking a regular regional train from Flüelen to Lugano via Göschenen.

Use the SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to plan your travel. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on that page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2019 at 0:41:38 #904074

Don’t worry – the Gotthard Panorama Express isn’t really anything special. The same itinerary has been available for the past 100 years using lake steamer and regular trains!

The options on the Gotthard route are:

• Use the old mountain route on ordinary regional trains – for this you take a train from Zurich or Luzern to Erstfeld, or a boat from Luzern to Fluelen then a train Fluelen – Erstfeld, then the regional train Erstfeld – Göschenen – old tunnel – Airolo – Bellinzona – Lugano – Milano
    • Use the new base tunnel (the longest tunnel in the world), the Intercity trains run Arth Goldau – Bellinzona non stop
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2019 at 8:30:39 #904075

Dear Deborah

As stated by rockoyster and 1960man the Gotthard Panorama Express does NOT run on a Monday, but you have the mentioned alternative, also being very scenic, although not labelled as such.

There are other scenic train trips available in Switzerland, covering different regions, so it depends on where you have your priorities, on the trip itsself or the destination.

Find an overview here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/scenictrips

Get back to us for further input anytime.

Best,

Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2019 at 22:36:57 #904076

Thank you all so much for your quick replies. That’s good news about the other options available. I am usually a good travel planner, but this trip has me doing a lot more research. This is a wonderful site and seems to have all the information anyone planning a trip to Switzerland needs.

Deborah

• The thread ‘Gotthard Panorama Express or other scenic trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.