Great panoramic seats on Golden Pass Line?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 November 2017 at 23:14:52 #813631

Our party of four will be traveling from Interlaken to Montreux in June, 2018. Does the Panorama train provide the best viewing? what trains are there and when do they depart Interlaken Ost?

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2017 at 1:32:07 #871684

Hi Wander, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> Our party of four will be traveling from Interlaken to Montreux in June, 2018. Does the Panorama train provide the best viewing? what trains are there and when do they depart Interlaken Ost?

The panoramic windows are bigger, and extend into the roof, so they do provide more extensive views.

There are regular departures throughout the day. You can use the Swiss Timetable to find a departure time that suits you.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

To get the correct route in the timetable, you need to put “From Interlaken Ost” “To Montreux” “Via Zweisimmen”. The trains with panoramic windows are only on the sector between Zweisimmen and Montreux, and are designated in the timetable as “MOB PANORAMIC”. So if you want to travel in a panoramic coach, choose a connection that includes an “MOB PANORAMIC” train between Zweisimmen and Montreux.

Reservations are optional, but as you are travelling in June, I expect it will be pretty busy, so reservations for the Zweisimmen-Montreux sector would be a good idea. Reservations can be made up to 90 days in advance of your travel date on the following site:

reservations.mob.ch/re servation/reservation/ reservation/reservatio n/reservation/reservat ion/reservation/reserv ation/reservation/rese rvation/f?p=151:1:33527175454054 05::NO:::

There is more information about the Golden Pass route here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 November 2017 at 5:22:21 #871685

If you follow the reservation link that Alpenrose provided you will see that some MOB trains offer limited “VIP” seating up the front. You effectively get the same view the train driver gets (including the windscreen wipers)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2017 at 7:24:52 #871686

I’d also add that the trains labelled MOB Belle Epoque are also panoramic between Zweisimmen and Montreux and you will see them on the timetable as well. These are older heritage style trains. The windows don’t extend into the roof like the newer ones but the windows are very large – I quite enjoyed it.

The only way to get the VIP front facing seats is on the new MOB Panoramic trains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2017 at 10:58:25 #871687

Thank you all! You’ve answered my questions — look forward to our Golden Pass trip. Am I correct in that you can reserve seats 90 days before travel?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2017 at 12:36:03 #871688

Usually within 90 days seats can be reserved.

At the moment seats can’t be reserved past Dec.9 as they haven’t updated their reservation system (you can find the schedule on Swiss railways timetable though.

• The thread ‘Great panoramic seats on Golden Pass Line?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.