Green areas in Switzerland in December

• JasmineO
    Participant
    4 posts
    10 September 2022 at 19:10:29 #828309

Hello everyone, I’d be in Switzerland in the first week of December. This will be my first time and I’m really excited to soak up the views in real life. Coming from Canada which is big on snow, I wonder if there’d still be any green areas at this time. I know the weather flunctuates but can you please let me know if there are any areas with minimal snow in December so I can enjoy a bit of the green views and also the white mountains views.Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    10 September 2022 at 19:42:16 #946674

Hi JasmineO,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

December is probably not the best time to visit if you wish to see a lot of greens in the landscapes. It might still be possible though in low-laying areas. Best chance would be in Ticino particularly places around Lake Lugano and Lake Maggiore.

For useful information about the seasonal weather in Switzerland: http://www.myswissalps.com/besttimetovisit

regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2022 at 23:42:41 #946675

The lowest altitude parts of Switzerland usually don’t have much snow in early December (witness the chaos that can occur in Geneva city if there is a bad snowfall in the city area – its actually rare, despite being not rare in the mountains surrounding Geneva.) They will still be green, but you might not see the animals that characterise ‘green’ Switzerland as they might be in sheds

JasmineO
    Participant
    4 posts
    13 September 2022 at 17:05:14 #946676

Thanks for the advice… We will be heading in from Italy, and starting our trip in the Ticino area. Fingers crossed, it will be awesome!!

• The thread ‘Green areas in Switzerland in December’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.