Green winter fields in Switzerland

• Bunkapass
    Participant
    10 posts
    15 January 2020 at 8:15:56 #824896

I wonder if the fields are traditionally green all winter or if it’s a result of global warming. In the USA Northeast winter grass is always brown.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 January 2020 at 10:07:14 #928034

?

pvonk
    Participant
    383 posts
    15 January 2020 at 16:18:03 #928035

What part of Switzerland are you “wonder”ing about? I’d guess you can’t tell the field colors in winter for the mountains. (I think you’d see mostly white,). The southern warmer parts are surely a different situation.

Arno
    15484 posts
    15 January 2020 at 17:07:51 #928036

Hi Bunkapass,

I’ve seen green and brownish fields in winter, and white ones of course 🙂 I’m not an expert on this but I guess the amount of precipitation and the altitude play a big role as for the color. Global warming is definitely having an effect, but whether it has an effect on the color of grass I don’t know. There’s often less snow than usual, or winter setting in later, but also more snow is possible because of higher temperatures: snow fall is more common around the freezing point but less so if it’s really cold.

Bunkapass
    Participant
    10 posts
    15 January 2020 at 18:11:50 #928037

I’m talking about all the lower pasturelands. Everything is green and there are even pansies blooming. This is very different from winter as I know it

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2020 at 1:32:16 #928038

There is nothing unusual about green fields in lower altitude places.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2020 at 19:51:55 #928039

Hi Bunkapass,

I think I know what you are saying. It was the same in Scotland: no green grass just the brown during the whole winter.

But here is different, it is not unusual to see green grass even in January.

• The thread ‘Green winter fields in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.