Grimsel Pass and Furka Pass open mid-October?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 October 2017 at 19:42:42 #813411

Hello!

This past July my husband and I drove from Ticino to Lucerne via the Furka and Grimsel passes with stops at the Aare Gorge and the Gelmerbahn. Now, I am trying to help someone plan their trip to Switzerland for October 12 to October 17, and am running into some problems with Google maps that I’m wondering if it means something.

In short, I am trying to map the same route, but in reverse: from Lucerne to Ticino via the Aare Gorge, Gelmerbahn, Grimsel Pass, and then the Furka Pass. However, Google Maps cannot provide any directions when I search for them from Aare gorge or Gelmerbahn to the Grimsel Pass, but it does provide directions and a driving time from Grimsel Pass to Aare Gorge.

Does this mean that the road is closed in one direction or that Google Maps is incorrect? I checked the site that tells you if mountain passes are closed, and all are open with no alerts.

Could anyone please assist?

Thank you so much in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 October 2017 at 8:49:57 #870474

Hi dinochka111 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I wouldn’t count on either pass being open in a couple of weeks unfortunately. This is why Google Maps won’t give you a route (I think they assume it is closed as of Oct.1 but I am not sure). You will want to give your friends an alternate route for sure and I wouldn’t drive either pass in mid-October without winter tires.

The Furka Pass does have a car train they can use through the mountain though.

To read more about car train options in Switzerland, visit our information page here.

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 October 2017 at 8:27:14 #870475

Hi Dinochka111,

You’ll be there around the closing dates, so no guarantees unfortunately. This page offers the latest traffic information and some interesting links: http://www.myswissalps.com/ca r/trafficinfo.

Enjoy your trip!

• The thread ‘Grimsel Pass and Furka Pass open mid-October?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.