Grindelwald bus discount with Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2017 at 10:01:41 #810767

I will be in the grindelwald region in last week of June. I will have a Swiss travel pass. Based on the pass, what kind of discount can I expect on the grindelwald-to-scwazwaldalp grindelwald bus, and on the schwazwaldalp-to-meiringen postbus?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2017 at 21:35:10 #858816

Hi Priya, I used the swiss travel pass at Grindelwald on some of the buses. When you go to the bus station area, you would see on the board, different colours, and it gives clearly on which routes the swiss travel pass works.Most of the bus routes should cover but always check.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2017 at 23:10:26 #858817

>> I will be in the grindelwald region in last week of June. I will have a Swiss travel pass. Based on the pass, what kind of discount can I expect on the grindelwald-to-scwazwaldalp grindelwald bus, and on the schwazwaldalp-to-meiringen postbus?

Hi Priya,

For the route Grindelwald to Meiringen with a Swiss Travel Pass, this is how it works:

• Grindelwald Bahnhof (railway station) to the stop called Oberer Gletscher: free
    • Oberer Gletscher to Schwarzwaldalp: 50% discount
    • Schwarzwaldalp to Meiringen: free

If you board at Grindelwald Bahnhof, state your destination and show the driver your Swiss Travel Pass. They will just charge you 50% of the fare for any sector not covered 100% by your pass.

Officially, the sector Grindelwald to Schwarzwaldalp is operated by Grindelwald Bus, and the sector Schwarzwaldalp to Meiringen is operated by PostBus. However, if you want to travel from Grindelwald to Meiringen or vice versa, without stopping off on the way, you just stay on the same bus: you don’t have to change to a different bus.

You can see a diagram of the route to Schwarzwaldalp here, and this page is also where you will be able to get the timetable for June, when it is published in April:

http://www.grindelwaldbus.ch/ en/timetable/timetable -summer

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2017 at 11:51:54 #858818

Alpenrose, I have enjoyed your posts immensely. For the Grindelwald to Meiringen bus ride, would you suggest reservations (first week of Julyish)?

I believe you also mentioned one time about upgrading from 2nd Class to 1st Class (last autumn trip reports) quickly through the SBB app. If that was you, could you walk me through the steps on the app?

Thanks,

OHGeologist

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2017 at 14:42:54 #858819

>> Alpenrose, I have enjoyed your posts immensely.

Thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed them 🙂

>> For the Grindelwald to Meiringen bus ride, would you suggest reservations (first week of Julyish)?

I don’t think it’s possible to reserve a seat: it’s basically just a local bus, with people getting on and off at many places along the route. I took that bus twice from Grindelwald and once from Meiringen in September. The bus was crowded for one trip, with people standing for part of the way, so may well be crowded in July too.

To improve your chances of getting a seat, it might be worth waiting at the Grindelwald station bus stop well before the bus is due to depart, or travelling from Meiringen to Grindelwald instead of Grindelwald to Meiringen.

Apart from that, even if it starts off crowded at Grindelwald station, many people are likely to get off at the second stop (Firstbahn) for the gondola to First, and other people will get off at other stops within Grindelwald village.

If you do get a seat, try for one on the right-hand side when travelling in the direction of Grosse Scheidegg from Grindelwald. Although the twists and turns in the road mean both sides get good views of the magnificent mountains and glaciers, I think you get the views for longer on the right hand side!

>> I believe you also mentioned one time about upgrading from 2nd Class to 1st Class (last autumn trip reports) quickly through the SBB app. If that was you, could you walk me through the steps on the app?

Yes, I can do that 🙂 I might start a new thread for it though, so it can be more easily found.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2017 at 15:58:09 #858820

Good to know the details on the bus routes coverages with Swiss Pass. Yes I only travelled upto Oberer Gletscher which was free as I just wanted to have a brief local mountain ride by bus and I saw a small water fall over there at Oberer Gletscher (from the last stop, there is a 10 minute walk to water falls). I enjoyed the bus ride very much into the mountain villages. I did this while I was returning from Jungfraujoch as I had some time left in the afternoon before I could return back to interlaken.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2017 at 16:18:16 #858821

Good to know the details on the bus routes coverages with Swiss Pass. Yes I only travelled upto Oberer Gletscher which was free as I just wanted to have a brief local mountain ride by bus and I saw a small water fall over there at Oberer Gletscher (from the last stop, there is a 10 minute walk to water falls). I enjoyed the bus ride very much into the mountain villages.

Yes, information about coverage of the Swiss Travel Pass on Grindelwald Bus routes is not easy to find. It’s not on their website. When I was there in September last year, I took a photo of one of those boards you mentioned, which shows the coverage of the Swiss Travel Pass and various other passes. I thought it might come in handy one day, and it has!

I’m glad you enjoyed your bus ride!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2017 at 16:30:14 #858822

Oh nice, I was there too last year from Aug 27th to Sept 4th.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2017 at 17:32:15 #858823

Thanks so much alpenrose. That information was super useful ! Since you have the map, can you also please tell me about the coverage of Swiss pass on the grindelwald – bussalp route?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2017 at 23:27:41 #858824

Hi Priya,

You get a 50% discount on the route Grindelwald Bahnhof (railway station) to Bussalp with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Prices in 2016 from Grindelwald Bahnhof (railway station) to Bussalp with the Swiss Travel Pass were CHF 11.70 each way.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Grindelwald bus discount with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.