Grindelwald - First hike starting at 3pm in March

Grindelwald - First hike starting at 3pm in March

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Darryl
Darryl
1 post
Mar 2, 2017 - 1:39 AM

Hello,

We will like to make a trip to First on 19 March. As we are taking the golden pass line from Montreux, we are only able to reach Grindelwald at around 3pm. Is it too late to go up to First by then?

Is there any alternative to recommend for a half day excursion around Grindelwald?

Lucas
Lucas
3375 posts
expert &
Mar 2, 2017 - 2:12 PM in reply to Darryl

Hi Darryl,

I'm not sure I would recommend starting a hike after 3pm. You can, however, find a list of recommended hikes in the Grindelwald area here (scroll down) for you to look into.

Lucas

Alpenrose666
Alpenrose666
1186 posts
top member
Mar 2, 2017 - 2:31 PM in reply to Darryl

>> We will like to make a trip to First on 19 March. As we are taking the golden pass line from Montreux, we are only able to reach Grindelwald at around 3pm. Is it too late to go up to First by then?

I agree with Lucas that it's too late to start a hike.

However, if you get to Grindelwald by 3:00 pm and the weather is suitable, you could get the bus from Grindelwald station at 15:14 and get off at the Firstbahn stop, from where you could get the gondola up to First, arriving about 15:45.

You then have about an hour to enjoy the spectacular views and perhaps do the cliff walk: walk to the end of the metal walkway, then return the same way. That takes about half an hour return, so do that first and keep an eye on the time.

The last gondola down to Grindelwald is at 16:45. Make sure to check the timetable yourself to avoid any mishaps!

Alpenrose

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017