Grindelwald one day itinerary for June

• John_Mahbub
    Participant
    8 posts
    15 May 2019 at 1:22:44 #821651

We are 4 adults & one 4.5 years’ kid are planning to spend a day in Grindelwald during our Switzerland trip. Planning to travel on 1st June 2019. Our rough itinerary @ Grindelwald as follows:

– Train to Lauterbrunnen from Interlaken (our base)

– Train to Wengen

– Cale car to Mannlichen

– Hiking from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg

– Train to Grindelwald from Kleine Scheidegg

– Cable car to First from Grindelwald

– Option 1 : First-Bachsee-First Hike Option2: First-Grosse Scheidegg hike then train to Grindelwald. Which option is better?

– Back to Grindelwald

– Train to Interlaken (our base) from Grindelwald

Q1. Please advise if any change is required to the itinerary. Are we missing any ‘Must See’?

Q2. We have Swiss Travel Pass. Is there anything in our itinerary which is not covered by Swiss Pass?

Q3. First-Bachsee-First hike OR First-Grosse Scheidegg? Which route is more scenic?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 May 2019 at 2:44:02 #912389

Q2 – See map at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity which will reveal discounts with Swiss Travel Pass as:

100% – Train to Lauterbrunnen from Interlaken (our base)

100% – Train to Wengen

50% – Cale car to Mannlichen

N/A – Hiking from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg

25% – Train to Grindelwald from Kleine Scheidegg

50% – Cable car to First from Grindelwald

50% – Back to Grindelwald

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 May 2019 at 3:20:45 #912390

Would someone please respond to John Mahbub’s Q1 & Q3? And add my Q4 as well:

Please give approx (minimum) time required for first portion (Interlaken to Grindelwald) & both of the two itinerary options as described? In other words, is this itinerary, including Option 1 or 2, feasible in a single day? #MakingEveryMinuteCount! Thanks!!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 May 2019 at 3:24:14 #912391

Q1 – Impossible to answer without knowing what “must see” means to different individuals. Seems like a fairly full day already to me.

Q3 – Never done either so can’t say.

Q4 – Use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) or the highly-recommended SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) to plan your travel, find fares* and buy tickets if required. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page – http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. *SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, mobile app allows you to nominate full or half-fare and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) if that offers the best fare. Oh and http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg/route and http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/first-grossescheidegg/route and http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/bachsee 😉

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    16 May 2019 at 0:26:05 #912392

Hi John

Regarding Q#3. While both hikes are very scenic, First to Bachalpsee is the more spectacular. Usually i suggest instead of returning to First by the same route that you can continue down from Bachalpsee to Waldspitz and from there take the bus back to Grindelwald or continue from Waldspitz down to Bort and return by cable car to Grindelwald. This way you don’t backtrack along the same trail. Also the section from Bachalpsee to Waldspitz is very scenic and much less crowded than the First to Bachalpsee leg.

That being said First to GS is a nice easy hike as well. You would need to return from GS to Grindelwald by bus or backtrack to First.

Mark

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 May 2019 at 0:32:54 #912393

Hi Mark,

Will these hikes be doable 1 June?

Mark
    Participant
    803 posts
    16 May 2019 at 0:41:46 #912394

Hi Rockoyster

I would GUESS a 50/50 chance. However I have never been in BO in June so I really don’t know and i expect the conditions could vary significantly from one year to the next. I think they have had a lot of snow this spring so John would be wise to check with the local tourist office to see if they are passable.

PS I like your new thumbnail photo. It appears you have let you hair grow out a little.

Mark

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 May 2019 at 0:50:22 #912395

Hi Mark,

I like your new thumbnail photo. It appears you have let you hair grow out a little“.

Also de-aged by about 35 years! Photo taken heli-skiing out of Queenstown NZ circa 1984. Time flies. 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2019 at 10:02:25 #912396

Hi John

Pretty comprehensive advice from Mark and Rockoyster! In addition to that, I’d like to leave you with a few links that may be useful on your destinations:

Wishing you a wonderful trip!

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2019 at 4:05:53 #912397

Did I read somewhere that the cable car to Mannlichen is not operating at this time of year? (perhaps not til 22 June?)

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 May 2019 at 5:30:50 #912398

The cable car from Wengen to Männlichen is operating. The cable car fro Grindelwald Grund to Männlichen is not operating this year due to construction works on the new V-bahn. A replacement bus service will be operating from 22 June.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/gettingther e

mhavens
    Participant
    7 posts
    21 May 2019 at 22:29:49 #912399

If hiking from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg isn’t an option due to weather, since you have the STP, have you considered doing Lauterbrunnen – Schilthorn? (visiting Murren, etc.)? It’s 100% covered regardless of which route you take up to Murren.

John_Mahbub
    Participant
    8 posts
    25 May 2019 at 7:08:22 #912400

I already allocated another day for Lauterbrunnen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2019 at 14:29:24 #912401

Thanks for the reply and please allow one more question about cable cars… do most (or all) provide transport in both directions for passengers, or only up the mountain?

Annika
    7116 posts
    25 May 2019 at 17:47:25 #912402

Hi Bbrown6235! Don’t worry, all cable cars offer transport in both directions.

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    31 May 2019 at 10:03:17 #912403

Hi John,

When you get to Murren, take the cable car up to Birg station. Enjoy the view from the wide platform where there is a cafe, then take the steps down to do the BIRG THRILL WALK which wraps itself around the cliff.

If you aren’t afraid of heights, this is in my opinion is one of the “must do or must see” in Murren. The video will give you an idea of the Thrill Walk.

youtu.be/Z1KPVJvRLD4

Regards

John_Mahbub
    Participant
    8 posts
    31 May 2019 at 10:54:40 #912404

Thanks. But I already kept one day for Lauterbrunnen. Birg walk is included there.

traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    31 May 2019 at 10:56:14 #912405

Ok good to know.

John_Mahbub
    Participant
    8 posts
    4 June 2019 at 17:55:38 #912406

Thanks for all responses. We just finished our visit to Grindelwald. We could not do hiking we planned due to snow. But did first cliff walk & other activities (mountain cart, glider etc.). It was an amazing experience which can’t be explained in words.

Cheers!!

• The thread ‘Grindelwald one day itinerary for June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.