Grindelwald vs Lauterbrunnen, where to stay?

• Azurzolo1
    Participant
    3 posts
    18 August 2022 at 6:46:44 #828120

Hi. We are travelling to the Swiss Alps next July and are not sure where to stay. I will be travelling with my wife, My 3 adult children and my wife’s sister. I was originally thinking of staying in Lauterbrunnen, but on some further research, noticed Grindlewald might have more restaurant/ bar options. Is this the case ? Also which town has better views. I see that Lauterbrunnen is in a valley with waterfalls around it, but do you still get great views of the alps ? Is Grindlewald surrounded by the Alps ?

Anthony- Australia

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2022 at 8:39:26 #945777

Hi Anthony and welcome to MySwissAlps.com!

Both towns are in the Alps and are surrounded by mountains. Some tourists prefer Lauterbrunnen as it is a bit more in the centre regarding day trips. I, personally prefer Grindelwald as I think it has better views.

Some tourists stay in Wengen or in Mürren.

I think that any of these towns will be great and you’ll enjoy the Swiss Alps. 🙂

You can find accommodation here:

I hope this helps,

Ildiko

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    18 August 2022 at 12:40:33 #945778

Lauterbrunnen is indeed in a valley and has great views of the water falls and the valley”

Grindlewald has much better views of the mountains and many more options for restaurants and bars.

Wengen (IMHO) has the best views of all but not nearly as many options for restaurants and bars.

Azurzolo1
    Participant
    3 posts
    18 August 2022 at 14:05:27 #945779

Hi. Thanks for that information. We will be coming from Basel and probably getting a Swiss Travel Pass so will we be able to store our luggage in compartments on the train or do we hold them next to us on our seats or the aisle ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2022 at 14:52:09 #945780

There are different train types: in some cases you can store luggage above your head on a shelf, in other cases you can put the bad between the seats. Sometimes you can store them at the beginning or end of a coach.

In general, you are not allowed to put luggage on the seats.

Learn more about how to transport your luggage on Swiss trains: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/luggage

Ildiko

Azurzolo1
    Participant
    3 posts
    21 August 2022 at 5:56:37 #945781

Hi. As we will be travelling through other areas of Europe, we are thinking of getting a Eurail pass. Are these passes valid throughout Switzerland and the Swiss Alps ?

Arno
    15484 posts
    21 August 2022 at 6:39:08 #945782

Hi Azurzolo1!

The Eurail Global Pass offers discounts on most regular train, bus and boat routes. Its coverage for mountain routes isn’t as good as that of most Swiss rail passes though. This especially goes for the Jungfrau region you want to visit: all routes south of Interlaken are discounted by 25%. The Swiss Travel Pass on the other hand allows free traveling in this area up to Grindelwald/Wengen/Mürren. Mountain routes are mostly discounted by 50%, the only exception being the Jungfraujoch at a 25% discount.

You can compare validity details here:

This page may help you find the pass that suits your travel plans best: https://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2022 at 23:29:06 #945783

Not necessarily the case in July when the sun is high in the sky, but Lauterbrunnen can be ‘dingy’ morning and evening and in bad weather as it is in a deep valley. In my opinion Grindelwald, Wengen or Murren are better as they are all perched up on Alps (in case you didn’t know and ‘Alp’ is the open area of grassland between hills and mountains., not the mountains themselves).

You can also stay in Interlaken or Unterseen, or a village along the shores of the lakes (Thunersee and Brienzersee) and jump off for all the area’s attractions from a central point.

CMarie
    Participant
    17 posts
    22 August 2022 at 18:03:52 #945784

We quite enjoyed our time in Mürren! Great views and nice hiking!

CMarie
    Participant
    17 posts
    22 August 2022 at 18:04:39 #945785

Actually…. Stunning Views!

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    22 August 2022 at 18:06:46 #945786

Nice pics!!

• The thread ‘Grindelwald vs Lauterbrunnen, where to stay?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.