Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen – Transport and Hiking i

• jackfromoz
    Participant
    4 posts
    25 January 2015 at 13:42:10 #806831

Hi

I was greatly helped previously on this forum so I’m hoping for some more answers.

We will be Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald 20-23 April but looking at the Jungfrau website, it seems that apart from trains between Interlaken – Grindelwald – Kleine Scheidegg – Wengen – Lauterbrunnen – Interlaken, the Jungfraujoch Railway and those from Lauterbrunnen to Murren, all others (rail and cableways) will not be operating.

My original plan was on Day 1 to go to Mannlichen from Wengen using the cable car, hike to Kleine Scheidegg before going up to Jungfraujoch. On returning I had planned to take the cablecar from Grindelwald to First (and return).

On Day 2 I planned to go to Schillthorn and visit Trummelbach falls and Staubbach Falls.

So my questions are:

1) is the weather this time of year still ok for hiking (Kleine Scheidegg to Mannlichen plus other trails)?

2) can someone suggest alternatives to my Day 1 schedule considering I won’t be able to get to Mannlichen from Wengen and also from Grindelwald to First. So apart from going to Jungfraujoch what else can we do?

3) Suggestions for Day 2 considering the Schillthorn cableway will not be operating

4) What will Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald be like in this time between Summer and Winter seasons?

Thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 January 2015 at 5:40:29 #841627

Hi jackfromoz,

Good to see you back here! Several cable cars will indeed be closed (e.g. Grindelwald – First, Grindelwald – Männlichen, and Wengen Männlichen).

1) Yes, you can go hiking if the weather on that particular day is fine, and on trails that are not covered in snow. Kleine Scheidegg to Männlichen is over 2000 m, so it may still be closed. The tourist office will be able to tell you whether it’s accessible or not. One can only tell a few days before.

2) 3) There are plenty of lower trails to enjoy, around the lakes and in the valleys. See question 3 in this topic. A boat trip would be nice as well. It’s free if you have a Swiss Travel Pass.

4) It will be pretty quiet. If you like a more lively town with shopping opportunities, then consider Interlaken. If you want to be surrounded by nature, then Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen are good options. You may want to avoid the higher towns like Mürren and Wengen in this season, because they will be surrounded by melting snow, so there are less hiking options directly from town there.

• The thread ‘Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen – Transport and Hiking i’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.