Grindelwald October 16-19 weather concerns

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2017 at 4:21:29 #813446

My husband, 26 year old son and I will be travelling from Frankfurt to Switzerland Monday, October 16, planning to depart Thursday morning to Montreux. I looked at the weather outlook and it does not look good for hiking during that stretch….rain, snow, cold. We have flexibility with this part of the trip at the moment. The plan on Thursday was to travel to Montreux on the Global Pass railway and leave out of Geneva on Sunday morning.

I’m thinking that we should visit this lovely mountainous area next year during a month less at risk for snow, ice and cold temps. I realize from reading posts, there are no guarantees in any month! What do you recommend as an alternative coming from Frankfurt and knowing we will be in Montreux 10/19-22. Lucerne? Zurich?

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2017 at 6:19:47 #870667

Hi Swissgigi and welcome to MySwissAlps!

What was tour original plan for Monday to Thursday? You just mention Switzerland and then Montreux on Thursday.

The first thing to think about is that weather forecasts for the mountains are not reliable until about 24-48 hours out. So I think since you are in the area I would plan on a visit to either Lucerne or Interlaken.

Lucerne is a great town and has several mountains nearby for you to visit of the weather looks good when you are there.

Interlaken isn’t terribly exciting but it is a great transit hub for the area. Trips into Lauterbrunnen and Wengen are quick and easy and up into the mountains from there (Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn for example). If the weather is poor a day trip to Thun or Brienz perhaps or even as far as Bern for a nice city trip could work for you.

To see what in Switzerland is covered by your Eurail Global Pass click here as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2017 at 16:00:48 #870668

Thank you for your kind reply. Our plans are to arrive mon 10/16 around 1. Eat lunch and do a walk hike convenient to Grindenwald Hotel Belvedere…suggestions? Hikes Tues Wed as well…Murren, The falls in Lauterbrunnen area. Yes, I planned for backup like Bern, boat ride on on a lake, outdoor museum, etc.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2017 at 19:21:36 #870669

Ah ok, so your plans are in the Jungfrau region for those first few days.

So for things to do in the Jungfrau region (which includes those towns) click here.

There are a lot of hikes and activities available to you.

• The thread ‘Grindelwald October 16-19 weather concerns’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.