Grosse Scheidegg to First – good with kids?

• ioana
    Participant
    81 posts
    4 May 2018 at 19:07:02 #815725

Hello,

One of the trips that we’re planning to do during our stay in Lauterbrunnen consists of a hike from Grosse Scheidegg to First. I read that there is a Marmot Trail from First to Schilt but nothing else about it. I was wondering if it’s worth taking the detour and hike Grosse Scheidegg – Schilt – First, is it interesting enough( not just marmot wise, but scenery wise as well)? How much longer would this route take with 3 kids (5 to 7years old) ?

Thank you very much!

Ioana

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2018 at 3:59:08 #884176

Hi Ioana,

YOu can read more about the hike on our hiking page here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/hiking/first-grossescheidegg

I haven’t don’t the hike myself but it sounds quite scenic and a good, easy hike with kids.

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 May 2018 at 4:48:26 #884177

I haven’t done the marmot trail either and don’t know where exactly Schilt is. But scenery wise you can’t go wrong with any hike from First I’d say.

ioana
    Participant
    81 posts
    5 May 2018 at 9:02:30 #884178

Thank you very much for your answers!

I had found the page on myswissalps for First-Grosse Scheidegg but no information about Schilt and difficulty and I thought that maybe someone had done the Marmot Trail and knew something about it.

I searched for a map and found this http://www.grindelwaldbus.ch/ en/hiking-and-exursions . So the hike would be 17, intstead of 6. And I see that it’s just a half an hour longer, so I think this is ok for kids, and not too much extra work so they all blame me and grumble in case it’s not so interesting and full of marmots. It’s an extra 100m level difference and looking on the map it seems that it’s a short distance where you gain this elevation, but I think this would be ok for them.

Ioana

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2018 at 14:48:15 #884179

Yes, I’d agree with you that it is probably ok for the kids – hopefully you see Marmots!

Perhaps another member has been on the trail and can comment but I’d suspect it is fine – always good to check locally though before you go.

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    5 May 2018 at 21:25:53 #884180

Hi Ioana

A group of us hiked the Marmott trail in the reverse direction from First to Grosse Scheidegg this past September. It is a small path that branches off the main trail uphill near the start. It has a fairly gentle climb and roughly parallels the main trail which you can see below much of the way. It is a small narrow dirt path versus a wide road of the main trail .Personally I preferred the small path. My Wife went the other way and we arrived about the same time so it’s not much longer or more difficult. The scenery is spectacular and similar on both trails. We did not see any Marmots but there was snow on the trail and ground as it had snowed the night before.

You might consider starting at First and ending at GS as there is a nice indoor/outdoor restaurant at GS where you can have a casual meal and beer while waiting on the bus to Grindelwald. The restaurant at First is much more crowded and touristy and not nearly as quaint. The views should be similar in either direction Mark

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 May 2018 at 0:30:13 #884181

Hi Ioanna-

I suspect that you might already understand these details, but I offer for your consideration the following detailed map:

map.geo.admin.ch/?lang=en&topic=ech&bgLa yer=ch.swisstopo.pixel karte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.zeitreihen,ch.bfs. gebaeude_wohnungs_regi ster,ch.bav.haltestell en-oev,ch.swisstopo.swiss tlm3d-wanderwege&layers_visi bility=false,false,fal se,true&layers_timesta mp=18641231,,,&E=26481 50.33&N=1167829.71&zoo m=7

I have turned on “Hiking Trails” in the menu.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Grosse Scheidegg to First – good with kids?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.