Grütschalp-Mürren, Wilderswil-Zweilütschinen hikes

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2018 at 7:27:19 #894135

Hi boshyd,

Both trails are fairly flat. You’ll see on the links you created that the elevation gain is between 100 and 150 meters on either train – very little overall.

I would go the direction that is most convenient to your trip plans. Though I’d probably walk from Grütschalp to Mürren on the first hike if I had to choose.

Sandra59
    Participant
    41 posts
    16 August 2018 at 9:38:38 #894136

Hi boshyd,

We did both on our recent trip. The first one from Grutschalp to Murren was by far the best and it added to a great day out. It is uphill (but only slightly) and we were able to do it with ease. The mountain views are on your left-hand side all the way to Murren and are absolutely amazing. You go through a mixture of terrain and a lot of it was in shade under trees with some small streams running by. If you get tired you can get on the train halfway at Winteregg) we also passed cows with their bells tinkling in the sun. We had a clear blue sky and a temp of about 17 Celsius. Arriving in Murren is a treat as it is a lovely small town, lots of colour from flower baskets and we had a coffee at Cafe Liv, a really cosy little cafe serving really good tea & coffee and cakes on the way to the Murren Cable Car station. I think it was about 4.3 km and it says it should take 1 hour 30 min but we did it in less than that and we were stopping to take photos quite often!

The other one, Wilderswil to Zweiluetschinen is fairly flat apart from at two points, one near the beginning where you have to climb a fairly steep embankment (had me puffing) and then about 15 mins later steadily climbing for about 15 mins (not steep but a steady increase) we still enjoyed this walk but the scenery was not as dramatic as the other walk. We walked through a few little villages and then nothing much (the scenery did not really change much for most of the walk) until we came to the station at Zweiluetschinen, nothing there of any interest so we hopped on the train to Wengen.

If I had to pick one it would be the first one hands down! It is really lovely. The photo I have attached gives you an idea of the scenery on the first walk.

Regards,

Sandra

• The thread ‘Grütschalp-Mürren, Wilderswil-Zweilütschinen hikes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.