Gstaad during the Swiss Open in July 2021

• NateB
    Participant
    9 posts
    21 April 2020 at 19:23:55 #825518

Hi, I’ve been following the site for a while, but this is my first post. I’m planning a trip to Switzerland next summer (2021), and my wife and I will be taking the Golden Pass line from Montreux to Wengen on July 26, leaving in the morning. (We’ll then spend a week in Wengen hiking and whatnot.) I was thinking it might be nice to stop in Gstaad for a few hours, including lunch at Charly’s, mid-trip.

Just by accident, however, I recently learned that July 26, 2021 is also the first day of the annual Swiss Open tennis tournament in Gstaad. So my question is: is this is a good thing or not? Will it be fun seeing all the tournament-related activity? Or will it be a madhouse? I know this sort of thing is subjective, but if anyone has been to Gstaad during the tournament, I’d appreciate hearing about your experience. Also, if I decide Gstaad will be too busy that day, can anyone suggest a nice lunch stop somewhere along this stretch of the Golden Pass line? Or are we better off just waiting until we get to the Jungfrau area?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Maloja_Snake
    Participant
    82 posts
    22 April 2020 at 8:56:42 #932226

Just my subjective opinion, but I was in Gstaad last year in early July. It’s a rather small Alpine village, and its main touristy street(s) allowed no cars, and were quite crowded and felt claustrophobic to me even before covid 19. It would be very difficult to engage in social distancing unless they pre-reserved times for entry. I’m hoping to go back to Switzerland next Summer and intend to visit only places where crowds are the exception. Stay well and good luck on your upcoming travel plans.

I can’t speak to the Swiss Open aspect, but in the US, I’m hearing many pundits suggest that large arena sporting events may take place, but without audiences until a vaccine is developed and largely applied. The Swiss are pretty cautious regarding the spread of Covid 19, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see significant changes regarding large gatherings.

NateB
    Participant
    9 posts
    22 April 2020 at 13:49:36 #932227

Thanks, MS. My planning for this trip has been based on the optimistic scenario that things return to something like normal by summer 2021. If it looks like there will still be a lot of social distancing restrictions in summer 2021, then we’d think about putting off the trip for another year.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2020 at 20:46:52 #932228

Hi NateB and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It is very difficult to tell you how crowded Gstaad will be in July 2021, I recommend to follow the updates on the coronavirus status at http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland and if needed, you can still change your plans as July 2021 is very far.

But if everything will be back to normal, yes, I expect that it will be crowded in Gstaad during the Swiss Open. You can read about the Swiss Open 2020 at swissopengstaad.ch/de/ (Unfortunately only in German and French.)

Ildiko

Also check these:

NateB
    Participant
    9 posts
    24 April 2020 at 11:03:16 #932229

Thanks, Ildiko. That tournament site is helpful. My German is limited, but Google translate works pretty well these days.

• The thread ‘Gstaad during the Swiss Open in July 2021’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.