Guaranteed seats with first class Saver Day Pass?

• NancyAR
    Participant
    22 posts
    25 February 2019 at 23:47:11 #820106

I have purchased Saver Day Passes for our 2 days touring out of Zurich. The first day we plan to leave Zurich 7:00 am (a Friday) and the second day (Saturday) leaving 9 am. I purchased first class assuming that pretty much guaranteed us a seat as we are senior citizens. We will return to Zurich 6-7 pm both days. Is it a scramble for seats? Or? It appears there is not a way to make seat reservations or am I incorrect?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    26 February 2019 at 0:41:02 #904962

You shouldn’t have any problem getting a seat in 1st Class. Reservations are very rare in Switzerland.

NancyAR
    Participant
    22 posts
    26 February 2019 at 0:55:51 #904963

I was reading on tripadvisor about people having to sit on the floor in first class but I don’t know the route they were referring to.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2019 at 1:09:26 #904964

Never, ever seen that in 50 years of travelling in Swiss trains. Very occasionally a busy commuter train will be full in 2nd class but only for short duration

I don’t know where you are travelling to, but if you make sure you use trains that start at Zürich there should be no problem – like any train in Europe, best to avoid getting to the train moments before departure.

NancyAR
    Participant
    22 posts
    26 February 2019 at 1:18:04 #904965

Ok great

our first day traveling to Wengen from Zurich

so be on the platform when the train arrives is best?

also I just read about grand vie seats on golden pass. We will hopefully switch to that train Lucerne to Interlaken. It described a need for adding a epically fee? Do we do that at the station or is it possible to secure those seats online? Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2019 at 1:36:38 #904966

Luzern – Interlaken is not the true Golden Pass (and the VIP seats aren’t available this year)

Current tourist branding can be confusing

The true Goldenpass is just the MOB railway Zweisimmen – Montreux.

The Luzern – Interlaken railway is actually the Brünig Pass line operated by Zentralbahn (ZB), which dubs the regular trains “Luzern – Interlaken Express’. It’s OK but not spectacular scenery

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2019 at 1:42:38 #904967

The best option Zürich – Wengen is the IR70 route trains that leave Zürich HB at xx.04 past each hour. This itinerary is 3h45 min overall journey time with only 3 changes.

The IR70 train will arrive into the platform at Zürich from Luzern probably about 15 minutes before it goes back the same way

• The thread ‘Guaranteed seats with first class Saver Day Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.