Swiss Half Fare Card online purchase

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2017 at 8:06:43 #811274

Hello,

Can I purchase Half Fare Card in India? What are the pre-requisites in terms of who can purchase? For how long is it valid? I read on SBB site that it costs around CHF 180 but on myswissalps.com it says around CHF 120. I am confused what is the correct price.

Please help

regards

Rakesh

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2017 at 8:24:29 #861000

Hi,

Half Fare card costs CHF 120, its better you buy after you reach Switzerland.

Regards, Darshan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2017 at 11:46:05 #861001

Hi rakesh3rg,

You can purchase the Swiss Half Fare Card online from India! You can find the correct website on our link here. It is 120 chf.

You might have been looking at the Half-Fare Travelcard on the SBB website (which is for residents only) which costs 185 chf.

Cheers,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2017 at 4:57:11 #861002

Hello Lucas,

Thanks for your response and clarification.

I am planning to buy the Swiss Half Fare Card online from India as advise by you and will use the link mentioned by you

I further had some queries on which need help –

1. For my local travel from Lucerne to places like Engelberg (for Mt.Titlis), Interlaken – Kleine Scheidegg (for Mt.jungfraujoch) – should I buy train tickets ONLINE or is it OK to buy it at the time of travel from train station. Can language be an issue as I only can communicate in English?? Will there be rush at ticket counters in the dates of 03-05 May 2017?? Is it simple and easy to buy tickets at the counter (for a tourist I mean)??

As per my research prices do not change whether online or from ticket counter at train station. Is this correct?

2. WHat will be weather like in the dates of 03-May to 06-May 2017, in Lucerne and on mountain tops?

3. Looking through your website for boat tours on Lucerne I found one short,1 hour tour in the evening – Lake Lucerne Panoramic Sightseeing Cruise. Can I buy the tickets for this tour at some counter or pier at the late itself?

Thanks for your help in advance

regards

Rakesh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2017 at 7:01:47 #861003

Hi Rakesh!

1. Easy to buy at the stations – either at a ticket counter with staff or at a ticket machine – both are available in English (and French and Italian and German) haha.
      I can’t tell you if offices in Switzerland will be busy on May 3, 4 or 5. At large stations the offices always have some people in line – say 10 to 25 minute wait typically. Machines are usually quicker but there is a learning curve to them so the first time takes a few extra minutes. You can buy online too (you could do so for the trips you are 100% sure about you will make them).
    2. Hopefully in Luzern the weather will be nice and warm and very Spring-like! It was below zero in Zurich last night 🙁
      Have a look at our weather forecast page here. Up in the mountains it will definable be cold with snow! Don’t bother checking the weather for up in the mountains until the night before your planned trip – it changes frequently.
    3. Yes, there is a ticket office down at the pier. The boats docks are close to the main train station in Luzern – head down at your convenience to buy tickets there. There may be the option of buying them in the train station as well. You can try the SBB office or ask the tourist information office there.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 7:18:02 #861004

Hello,

I tried buying Swiss Half Fare Card from the link given in previous posts. I want to select start date as 03-May-2017, but it is allowing only 04-May-2017 as the start date. Can you please help?

Thanks

Rakesh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 7:28:05 #861005

Hi,

If I use the link – http://www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland /swiss-half-fare-card

is this Ok for online purchase?

regards

Rakesh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 11:23:30 #861006

HI Rakesh,

Yes, that link should be fine. They can often get the pass emailed to you the same day as you order. The only issue I can think of now is that Monday is a holiday here but they should still be able to get it to you by May 2.

If you can’t get the order to work now you can pick up the Swiss Half Fare Card at any staffed SBB station in Switzerland once you arrived.

Lucas

Arno
    15483 posts
    28 April 2017 at 12:38:37 #861007

Yes, Lucas is right. The “official” shop at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en assumes 3 working days to process orders (although in reality it’s often just one). As it’s Friday now and Monday is a public holiday, an order for May 3 is on too short notice. However it will work fine through http://www.happyrail.com/en/p ass/europe/switzerland /swiss-half-fare-card. They will e-mail your Swiss Half Fare Card today if ordered before 4:30 PM CET.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 14:17:38 #861008

Thanks guys.’

Just ordered on Happyrail. I am leaving India on the night of 2nd May as per IST. So hope to receive the E-Ticket by then. What haapens just in case I don’t ??

regards

Rakesh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 16:21:19 #861009

At this point you will have to wait until you get the pass emailed to you. I can’t imagine you won’t get the email by the time you arrive in Switzerland.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2017 at 10:23:28 #861010

Hello Lucas,

Let me first of all convey my gratitude and many many thanks to you and your team for this wonderful forum.

I completed my Swiss tour and am back in India. It was a 4 nights and 3 days tour with my base in Lucerne. I visited Titlis, Jungfrau and Rigi on the 3 days that I had. I also managed to do 1 hour Lucerne boat tour on Day 1(when I did Titlis).And concluded with some souvenir shopping in Casa Grande in Luzern. Without doubt one of the best trips of my lifetime. Amazing beauty in the scenery and landscape, amazing technology in taking the trains in the snow clad mountains at Jungfrau and Rigi and above all amazing people – particularly the SBB rail staff at the Luzern train station on 1st floor. They were extremely helpful with all my queries and even helped with train timings, suggested itineraries, connections etc.

But none of above would have been possible without your inputs and guidance and help with my queries. Which helped me do my research and plan my itinerary much in advance.

SO thanks again Lucas.

regards

Rakesh

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 May 2017 at 17:57:14 #861011

It’s good to hear you had such a wonderful trip Rakesh! We’re always happy to help and I’m glad MySwissAlps could take part in your planning process. Feel free to post about your experiences in the Trip Reports forum. Many people read those reports.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2017 at 19:19:13 #861012

Fantastic to hear Rakesh!

All the best!

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card online purchase’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.