Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2013 at 21:47:45 #806080

I plan to purchase a Half Fare card in September and have a few questions.
    1) Does the half-fare apply to the cable cars to Schilthorn?

2) Does the card also apply to the train to Schnynige Platte?

3) I plan to travel from Spiez to Milan, eventually to Rome. Will this card discount the portion of the trip from Spiez to the border?

4) I understand the card must be purchased within Switzerland. Can I book tickets in advance on the Swiss Railways site and receive the half-fare price?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    30 June 2013 at 10:01:50 #838977

Hi STLtraveler. Yes, the Swiss Half Fare Card covers the Schilthorn, Schynige Platte and the leg from Spiez to the border. Please review the downloadable validity network map at the Swiss Half Fare Card page for details. The Swiss Half Fare Card doesn’t have to be bought in Switzerland but can also be ordered online in advance. Available resellers are listed at the Swiss Half Fare Card page.

Most trips don’t require you to book tickets in advance; you can just buy 50% discounted tickets at a railway station before boarding. If you do need tickets in advance, you can indicate that you’re entitled to half fare prices. It doesn’t matter whether you already have the Swiss Half Fare Card or not, as long as you have it at the time of traveling.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2013 at 23:56:42 #838978

Annika,

Thanks for the information. I went to the Swiss Railways site to purchase the tickets from Spiez to Milan, and it asked if I had any type of rail pass. The site offered pass options, but the Half Fare Card selection shown was for the 1, 2, or 3 year card, and not the 1 month card. Can I legitimately say I am using the Half Fare Card for this purchase if it is not the 1/2/3 year card?

Annika
    7104 posts
    1 July 2013 at 6:05:31 #838979

Hi STLtraveler. Yes, you can select the 1, 2 or 3 year card as well. It only indicates that you’re entitled to 50% discounted tickets.

• The thread ‘Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.