Half fare card and family card within the city

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2016 at 2:14:34 #810439

Hi,

I will be leaving at the end of the week for Switzerland and have already obtained the Half Fare Card as well as the Family Card for my 2 younger children. I think I know how to use the cards for train travel but how do I use the cards for travel within the city; on the trams and buses in Zurich for example? Do they have machines at every stop and how do I use the half fare card to get a discount? Also, the trips we make are mostly to and fro (i.e. to the zoo and back), will getting a day pass be useful with a half fare card or should I simply purchase a single trip ticket? Thank you for your help. You guys run a fantastic website … kudos to you.

Kyuhyun

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2016 at 12:21:58 #857396

>> Do they have machines at every stop and how do I use the half fare card to get a discount?

Yes, there are machines at tram and bus stops, which have an option for a half-fare ticket or pass (shown as “1/2”). Buy the half-fare option. You won’t need to show your Half Fare Card unless you encounter a ticket inspector.

You can try out a simulated Zürich public transport (ZVV) ticket machine here:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/am-bahnhof/dhl-service-point/automatic-ticket-machine/automatic-ticket-machine-zvv.html

>> Also, the trips we make are mostly to and fro (i.e. to the zoo and back), will getting a day pass be useful with a half fare card or should I simply purchase a single trip ticket?

A 24-hour pass costs the same as 2 single tickets, so I regard it as a good idea to get the pass if making more than one trip in a 24-hour period.

You have to take note of which zones you will be travelling in, and buy the ticket or pass to cover the correct number of zones. The zone that covers central Zürich (Zone 110) counts as two zones, and the zoo is in that zone. So to go to the zoo from Zürich Hauptbahnhof, for example, you would need a ticket or pass for 2 zones.

There are zone maps at tram and bus stops. You can also use the online timetable to check which zones your intended trips will cover.

online.fahrplan.zvv.ch /bin/query.exe/en

At the top of ZVV timetable page is a map. On the right hand side of the map are zoom symbols (plus and minus signs). Immediately above the plus sign is a symbol like a stack of papers. When you have put your “from” and “to” details in, clicking on this symbol and ticking the box for “Fare zones” will overlay the zone map onto your trip, so you can see what zones your trip will cover. Adjust the zoom to get a suitable view. The attached screenshots show a trip from Zürich Hauptbahnhof (main station) to the zoo (screenshot1) and a trip from Zürich Flughafen (airport) to Zürich Hauptbahnhof (screenshot2).

The trip from Zürich main station to the zoo is all in Zone 110, which counts as two zones, so a ticket or pass covering 2 zones is needed. From the airport to the main station travels through two zones (121 and 110). So for this trip your ticket or pass would need to cover 3 zones – zone 121 being one zone, and zone 110 counting as two zones.

Other ticket options are described here:

http://www.zvv.ch/zvv/en/trav elcards-and-tickets/tickets.html

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2016 at 1:45:18 #857397

Thanks for your very detailed answer. It was extremely helpful. If I were to make a trip to the Rhine Falls and back on 18/12/16, would a ZVV day pass be the best option versus buying a return train ticket at the Zurich train station? If so, how many zones would be required I count 6 zones but I’m not sure. Also, would an onward trip to Schaffhausen be worthwhile? If so, how do I make my way there after the Rhine Falls and would this be covered by the day pass as well? Thanks again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2016 at 9:21:52 #857398

Hi,

Sorry about this but I want to add on to my previous inquiry – if I arrive at the airport and will head to the hotel to drop off my luggage and then make my way to the Rhine Falls and back, would a day pass be applicable and most cost effective or should I get a single ticket to Zurich HB, drop off my luggage and then make my way to the Falls? What would be the most cost effective way?

Thanks very much.

Arno
    15483 posts
    13 December 2016 at 9:40:11 #857399

Hi Kyuhyun,

You can explain about your plans at any staffed ticket office (e.g. at the airport) and they will sort it out for you and get you the cheapest ticket. Note that day passes and return tickets are interchangeable concepts here. If you need a return trip, you will get a day pass. But again, the staff knows what you need. As for your last question: I don’t think there will be much of a price difference, if any.

• The thread ‘Half fare card and family card within the city’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.