Swiss Half Fare Card for 16 year olds

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2017 at 17:15:28 #813135

Hello

Is the Half Fare card for 16 year olds only for 16 year olds, or for kids 16-25? My daughter is 18 and will be traveling with us. I will also be purchasing a Junior Card for my 15 year old son. Do they check proof of age or just an ID with picture? Once I have the Cards, and we purchase tickets for cable cars and lifts in Grindelwald, like First and Maennlichen, is my son free on those and my daughter pays half price or the discounted rate?

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    31 August 2017 at 18:29:32 #869238

Hi Nmhamel,

There is no Swiss Half Fare Card specifically for 16 year olds. Children up to 15 can use the free Swiss Family Card and travel along for free everywhere you go. Anyone aged 16 or older needs a Swiss Half Fare Card.

So you need Swiss Half Fare Cards for the adults and your daughter, and you can order along the Swiss Family Card for your son. You can print all the cards at home: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/price. A Junior travelcard is not needed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2017 at 18:57:28 #869239

Thank you Arno, but on sbb .com there is this:

The Half-Fare travelcard for 16-year-olds.

Are you already 16 years of age? Then you can benefit from a reduced price for your first Half-Fare travelcard with the Half-Fare travelcard for 16-year-olds. For the Half-Fare travelcard for 16-year-olds, you pay just CHF 99 instead of the normal price of CHF 185.

Arno
    15471 posts
    31 August 2017 at 19:07:48 #869240

You’re welcome Nmhamel! SBB is the domestic website. You can use it to search for train schedules but most of the ticket and pass related information is for locals. You’ve been reading about the one-year Half-Fare travelcard for Swiss residents. You can’t buy that unless you live in Switzerland or one of its neighbouring countries. What you need is the one-month version for tourists. The price is CHF 120. You’ll find all details on http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard, and you can buy it from the tourist webshop of the SBB at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the cards within 1-3 business days (no delivery fees), so you can print them at home.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 August 2017 at 19:20:58 #869241

Thanks for clarifying as I found it to be a little confusing. Do I have to show proof of age at some point for my 15 year old as I am not sure we always want to carry our passports with us on all of our hikes? We are not taking any train rides per say, just lifts or cable cars in the Jungfrau area.

Thank you

Arno
    15471 posts
    31 August 2017 at 19:45:05 #869242

I’m glad it’s cleared up now! Yes, you do need to carry your passports at all times. Ticket inspectors may occasionally request for the passports (no copies). Apart from that you need to be able to identify yourself at all times, although I was never asked to do so apart from on trains.

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card for 16 year olds’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.