Swiss Half Fare Card & Saver Day Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2018 at 3:31:31 #814526

I have reserved my seats on the Glacier Express on 26th May.

I intend to travel by train to Chur then catch the Glacier Express to Brig and then return by train to Zurich all on the one day and all 1st Class..

Can you confirm I can make a substantial saving on the total ticket pricing by purchasing a Half Fare Card as well as a One Day Travel Pass for that day

I understand I will have to purchase 1st Class passes.

If I have the One Day Travel Pass I assume I do not need to have a separate ticket and just board the train..

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 February 2018 at 4:26:40 #877297

Hello Mackinder,

Not sure if you mean a 1-Day Pass or a Saver Day Pass. Irrespective the logic is the same.

A Swiss Half-Fare Card with cost you CHF120. A 1st Class Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details) if you buy at the right time will cost you CHF52 for 2nd Class or CHF88 for 1st Class. With a SHFC the price of a first class ticket drops to CHF66. Hardly a good investment of CHF120!

With an SDP you won’t need a ticket for the GEX but you still need to reserve a seat.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2018 at 4:45:26 #877298

Thank you for your response.

I did not notice the Saver Day Pass.

However, my investigations indicate the Zurich to Chur leg would cost CHF 72, Chur to Brig (Glacier Express) CHF 143 and Brig to Zurich CHF 156 total CHF371. (all 1st Class)

The Half-Fare Card plus a 1st Class 1-Day Pass or Saver Day Pass would be less than CHF 200. Correct?

I have already reserved my seats on the Glacier Express

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2018 at 5:18:59 #877299

I now realise that I can purchase a 1st Class Saver Day Pass without having to purchase a SHFC which I don’t really need as I won’t be doing any more train travel etc.

This will be substantially less than the direct ticket pricing, especially if I purchase the Saver Day Pass 30 days ahead.

Thanks for the advice.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 February 2018 at 6:11:51 #877300

Your welcome. I should have mentioned that the 1-Day Pass is really designed for Swiss Residents, 99% of who already have a domestic Half-Fare Card.

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card & Saver Day Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.