Swiss Half Fare Card & Saver Day Pass

Swiss Half Fare Card & Saver Day Pass

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Mackinder
Mackinder
5 posts
Feb 27, 2018 - 3:31 AM

I have reserved my seats on the Glacier Express on 26th May.

I intend to travel by train to Chur then catch the Glacier Express to Brig and then return by train to Zurich all on the one day and all 1st Class..

Can you confirm I can make a substantial saving on the total ticket pricing by purchasing a Half Fare Card as well as a One Day Travel Pass for that day

I understand I will have to purchase 1st Class passes.

If I have the One Day Travel Pass I assume I do not need to have a separate ticket and just board the train..

rockoyster
rockoyster
3694 posts
expert
Feb 27, 2018 - 4:26 AM in reply to Mackinder

Hello Mackinder,

Not sure if you mean a 1-Day Pass or a Saver Day Pass. Irrespective the logic is the same.

A Swiss Half-Fare Card with cost you CHF120. A 1st Class Saver Day Pass (www.myswissalps.com/on edaytravelpass/details) if you buy at the right time will cost you CHF52 for 2nd Class or CHF88 for 1st Class. With a SHFC the price of a first class ticket drops to CHF66. Hardly a good investment of CHF120!

With an SDP you won't need a ticket for the GEX but you still need to reserve a seat.

Mackinder
Mackinder
5 posts
Feb 27, 2018 - 4:45 AM

Thank you for your response.

I did not notice the Saver Day Pass.

However, my investigations indicate the Zurich to Chur leg would cost CHF 72, Chur to Brig (Glacier Express) CHF 143 and Brig to Zurich CHF 156 total CHF371. (all 1st Class)

The Half-Fare Card plus a 1st Class 1-Day Pass or Saver Day Pass would be less than CHF 200. Correct?

I have already reserved my seats on the Glacier Express

Mackinder
Mackinder
5 posts
Feb 27, 2018 - 5:18 AM

I now realise that I can purchase a 1st Class Saver Day Pass without having to purchase a SHFC which I don't really need as I won't be doing any more train travel etc.

This will be substantially less than the direct ticket pricing, especially if I purchase the Saver Day Pass 30 days ahead.

Thanks for the advice.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3694 posts
expert
Feb 27, 2018 - 6:11 AM in reply to Mackinder

Your welcome. I should have mentioned that the 1-Day Pass is really designed for Swiss Residents, 99% of who already have a domestic Half-Fare Card.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018