Swiss Half Fare Card or Swiss Travel Pass Flex?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2016 at 12:10:05 #809842

Hi,

I wanted to know which is best option ? half fare card (1 month) or Swiss Travel Pass Flex for 8 days ?Me and my husband residing in Zurich (having L permit visa) , our relatives are coming to Switzerland for vacation and we want to take them to some important places in Switzerland( we are total 5 persons plus 1 kid under age 2.)

We want to cover 5 to 6 places within 15 days of time. First we want to visit interlaken for 4 days( we have booked hotel near interlaken west station) in this we would like to cover Jungfraujoch , Lauterbrunnen, Wengen,Trümmelbach Falls, Grindelwald, murren, then we are planning for day trips from zurich to mount Rigi , mount titlis, rhine falls, lucerne or bern and some local places in zurich. so considering all these which would be best and reasonable ? whether we should go for 1 month half fare card or we should buy Swiss Travel Pass Flex for 8 days or are there any discounts if we travel in groups as we are 5 persons travelling together. please suggest the reasonable option

thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 August 2016 at 14:44:16 #854943

Hi Pragya,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! It’s really nice to be able to show your relatives around. I assume all of you have a non-Swiss passport. If so, you qualify for both passes you are considering. I expect the Swiss Half Fare Card will be cheaper. The Swiss Travel Pass Flex will be more convenient as you can just hop on trains, buses and boats without buying tickets. If you want to be 100% sure about the most economical options, you need to do some calculations to compare. You’ll find all information here:

There are no group discounts.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2016 at 16:01:20 #854944

hi Arno ,

thanks for information, yes we all have non swiss passport. I think we will opt for half fare card as we are unsure of how many places we are travelling withing 15 days. because our group has small kid and elderly person , we might not be able to explore much places. thanks for links. I wanted one more information, in case we buy half fare card of 1 year validity for 2 of us ( me and my husband ) and we have to go back to home country if visa extension does not happen ,then is there any option of refund if we cancel half fare card , after a month of usage?

thanks in advance

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 August 2016 at 16:27:44 #854945

Hi Pragya,

I don’t think you would get a refund on the one year half fare card in such a case. But you would have to ask the SBB to be sure, as this is a non-tourist product and I don’t know about all of its details. The one month Swiss Half Fare Card can be purchased through visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass in 1-3 business days (no delivery fees), so you can print it at home. You do not need any card for the child.

Please note that some precautions apply to taking very young children to high altitudes like Jungfraujoch: myswissalps.com/ jungfraujoch.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2016 at 16:40:59 #854946

ok thanks for info.

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card or Swiss Travel Pass Flex?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.