Swiss Half Fare Card passenger details at SBB site

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2018 at 17:09:37 #816142

Hello,

I am trying to buy the half fare card on http://www.sbb.ch” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”> SBB. I am traveling with a 10 year old child. I have registered on the website/created a login for all my swiss travel purchases.

When I begin the process, it asks for passenger details in a way that is confusing me. It first asks for details related to:

2. Companion …

1. Child …

2. Child …

With the option to add more children.

I am trying to figure out if the row “2. Companion” is for me, or for another adult or spouse that might be traveling with me? Since I will be the only adult with my child should I leave this row blank? Regardless of whether I fill it or leave it blank, in a subsequent page it asks for “1. Passenger” details.

I am inclined to think that “1. Passenger” is where my details go, and that the earlier “2. Companion” ought to be left blank in my case. Is this correct?

Not sure why it couldn’t have all been put on one page — the order of the questions is throwing me off.

Thanks much for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2018 at 17:53:23 #885962

To above I should add, I am having trouble making payments using my visa card on http://www.sbb.ch” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”> SBB. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 May 2018 at 18:00:06 #885963

Hi Vishalg!

The SBB ticket webshop is mainly geared to Swiss residents, not to tourists. Are you sure you’re buying the 1-month Swiss Half Fare Card, and not the resident-version “Half-fare travelcard” that’s valid for a whole year? You may also run into issues when using your (foreign) credit card in the SBB ticket shop.

You’d better purchase from the official SBB tourist webshop at https://shop.switzerla ndtravelcentre.com. Other suitable retailers are listed at myswissalps.com/swissh alffarecard/price.

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 May 2018 at 18:18:53 #885964

Hi Vishalg,

Our last posts must have crossed :-). Yes, the SBB ticket shop is known to have issues with foreign credit cards. If I were you I’d just drop the attempt and try again through the tourist webshop I just linked to.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2018 at 18:34:30 #885965

Hi Annika,

Thanks for your prompt response! I went ahead and bought the half fare card from the official SBB tourist website.

I do mean to carry a printout of my half fare/family card. However, will the conductors accept the card if I show it to them on a mobile device? Even though the pdf link for the tickets is located on the http://www.sbb.ch” target=”_blank” rel=”nofollow”> SBB ticket shop, I assume it won’t automatically relate to my SBB/ticket shop login.

Vishal

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 May 2018 at 19:06:38 #885966

Hi Vishal, glad it worked out through the tourist webshop!

No, you have to show the Swiss Half Fare Card as a print-out. Showing it on your device won’t be accepted.

Regular discounted tickets bought in the SBB app with your own account don’t have to be printed though. These can just be presented on your cell phone or tablet and the train conductor can scan the code.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 12:56:12 #885967

Hi,

Does anybody has any idea if t he Swiss Coupon pass sold for CHF 49 at the SBB Tourist link is worth the buy ? Does it really saves you more than CHF 50 for what it costs ? We are planning to cover things around Interlaken and Lucerne and was debating to buy it or not.

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 15:54:53 #885968

Hi Khetank,

Always best to start a new thread when changing the subject (this is about the Swiss rail passes).
    To quickly answer it depends. 🙂 Have a read through our information page on the Swiss Coupon Pass and start a new thread if you have further questions about it or anything else.

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card passenger details at SBB site’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.