Swiss Half Fare Card or standard tickets?

Swiss Half Fare Card or standard tickets?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
chammer
chammer
2 posts
May 29, 2017 - 9:02 AM

Hi all,

I'm planning on doing the "Tour of the Jungfrau Region" long distance trek over 10 days, starting at the end of June. I'll be flying into Zurich and catching the train to Wilderswil (near Interlaken), and returning from Wilderswil to Geneva Airport at the end of the trip (the flights were just more convenient to come into Zurich and out of Geneva). I'll be taking the cog railway from Wilderswil to Schynige Platte (one way) and hopefully also making the trip up to Jungfraujoch.

I'm weighing up the pros and cons of buying the half-fare pass or just buying tickets as I go. As far as I can make out, if I don't do the Jungfraujoch trip the half-fare card will work out more expensive than full fares, if there's a 25% discount on the Jungfraujoch it will just about break even and if there's a 50% discount on the Jungfraujoch it'll be cheaper overall to buy the half-fare pass. Does this sound about right or am I missing something?#

Also, does the half-fare pass also give discounts on cable-cars if I need to use one at any stage?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Lucas
Lucas
3376 posts
expert &
May 29, 2017 - 4:38 PM in reply to chammer

Hi Chammer and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, your calculations sound about right - to be sure you can do the math here to compare the Swiss Half Fare Card, Swiss Travel Pass and point to point tickets.

Yes, the Swiss Half Fare Card gives a 50% discount on most transport tickets in Switzerland. There is a map showing the routes that are covered here.

Lucas

Last modified on May 29, 2017 - 4:51 PM by Arno

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2017