Upgrade Swiss Half Fare Card to other rail pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2018 at 13:52:18 #814045

I am holidaying in Switzerland (Wengen) this summer. The travel company provide a free Half Fare travel pass in addition to the Transfer Ticket as part of the package. Am I able to upgrade this to either a regional (Bernese Oberland) Travel pass or a full Swiss Travel Pass?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2018 at 18:13:27 #874376

Hi Simon, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

From my experience the SBB is quite flexible when you would like to change something and therefore my assumption would be that this is possible. Usually this needs to be done at one of the SBB ticket offices before / on the starting date of your ticket.

I would just give them a quick call (+41 512 257 800) to find out more and I would appreciate if you could share the outcome of that conversation here with the other forum members.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 January 2018 at 6:08:18 #874377

Hello SImon,

When you say the travel company are providing these “passes” free, presumably they are built into the cost of the overall “package”. If Chantal’s suggestion does not bear fruit, maybe you could ask the travel company if they will offer an upgrade to a Swiss Travel Pass (for a fee).

Have you had a look at “How to chose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass) so you know what would best for your travel plans?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2018 at 13:55:24 #874378

Thank you, Chantal. My command of the German language isn’t too good so I’ve sent them an email. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2018 at 13:58:42 #874379

Thank you, Rockoyster. The travel company (Inghams) say they can’t do anything. I’ve gone into quite a lot of research into this and reckon the Regional pass will work out best … if we get some nice weather. Always a big if! Thanks for your comments.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 January 2018 at 19:10:03 #874380

Hi Simon,

They do speak English. This number is for people living outside of Switzerland and the menu will allow you to select English. Thanks for keeping us posted!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2018 at 11:01:58 #874381

Hi Chantal. Thank you for all your helpful input. I have now spoken to SBB and the answer I received was that it was not possible to upgrade from the Half Fare Pass to either a Regional Pass or the full Swiss Travel Pass. A pity but there it is. Perhaps the travel company should offer more travel pass options.

Arno
    15482 posts
    17 January 2018 at 13:36:29 #874382

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the update. Swiss Half Fare Card holders do get a 25% discount on the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. Might be interesting for you: http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpassberneseoberl and/price

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2018 at 15:47:42 #874383

Thanks Arno. I’ve just checked and the travel agents will give us a reduced price but not the full 25%, presumably to reflect their handling costs. I’ve taken them up on this offer for the sake of convenience.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I think this ends my own personal interest at this stage but when I return from Switzerland I may be able to offer some more practical help and comment to others.

Ciao.

• The thread ‘Upgrade Swiss Half Fare Card to other rail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.