Half Fare ticket and Jungfrau VIP Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2020 at 6:21:21 #825656

Hi,

I am planning to visit Switzerland in August for a month. I will be staying in Geneva (in my friend’s house) and travel around. The places that i am considering to visit are Zermatt (+Gornergrat), Bern, Lausanne, Zurich, Interlaken (+First mountain). Since I will not be traveling the whole month, i was planning to purchase a month-long half fare card fare. Or is there any better option? And for another, i will be visiting Interlaken for 3 days max., for mountain tracking and to go up to First. In this case, is it necessary to purchase an additional vip pass? Will the half fare card be able to have a discount on the funicular to First? In case that i visit other neighboring towns — Grindewald, Murren, and etc., i am wondering whether it would be optimal to purchase vip pass or not.

Thank you in advance for your answers! 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    21 August 2020 at 8:24:30 #934138

Hi Sabrinaoo,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

As you will be visiting for a month and planning to travel across multiple regions in Switzerland, I personally think the Swiss Half Fare Card would be a great investment. More details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard

For your information, the Jungfrau VIP Pass has been discontinued and replaced by the Jungfrau Travel Pass. This is the perfect pass for extensive and flexible travel in the Jungfrau region (Interlaken, Mürren, Grindelwald). The pass offers free traveling for 3 to 8 consecutive days without the need to get tickets for each trip.. And with a valid Swiss Half Fare Card, you can benefit from a 25% discount of the pass price. You can find more information about the Jungfrau Travel Pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrautravelpass/price

You might also find the following links useful for your trip:

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2020 at 9:00:20 #934139

Hey Anna,

Thank you for your reply. It helps a lot! 🙂

Sabrina

pkerr
    Participant
    265 posts
    21 August 2020 at 20:02:23 #934140

And just so that you know, the Jungfrau Travel Pass is good for a certain number of days. What I mean by that is if you purchase a 3 day pass, it is good for 3 days, not 72 hours. If you buy it at 5:00 pm, you’ve already used one day starting at 5:00. Basically a wasted day.

I learned this the hard way when I purchased a card at noon and wasn’t able to use it in the morning of the 4th day because it had expired the night before. i thought I had 72 hours.

But live and learn. I’ll know the next time I go to Switzerland. I sure am looking forward to that!

Anna
    6355 posts
    22 August 2020 at 4:23:02 #934141

Thanks for the insight pkerr!

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Half Fare ticket and Jungfrau VIP Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.