Day trip from Geneva by Golden Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2015 at 19:02:29 #807353

hi,

we will be in switzerland from 12th of july till 16th, we will stay in geneva. We would like to have one or 2 day trips, I know about the “golden pass”. I have some questions about it;

1- Should we buy the tickets in advance and if yes, from which site?

2-Can we hop off the train in cities and catch the later train?

3-I wonder if we buy the ticket from “montreux to lucerne” and enjoy the whole pass or just buy “montreux to Interlaken ost” and then explore the “jungfrau pass” ??

4- If you have any other suggestions I would love to hear it.

thank you in advance.

pargol

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 June 2015 at 19:32:54 #843651

Hi Pargol, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Do you know which other days trips you intend to make during your stay in Geneva? Whether you should buy a pass or regular tickets depends on all your travel plans during your stay.

What do you mean by “explore the Jungfrau pass”?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2015 at 4:24:46 #843652

Hi Arno

Thanks for the reply.

I would say I like to visit Montruex too, specialy because of the jazz festival. I also would like to go to guyere.

I like to enjoy jungfrau railways which starts from Interlaken ost and goes down,I saw this panorama route here: http://m.swisstravelsystem.com/en/home/highlights-en/panorama-journeys.html

Could I ask you to kindly tell me your sugestions too?

Annika
    7104 posts
    5 June 2015 at 7:01:31 #843653

Hi Pargol,

The route to Jungfraujoch can be found on myswissalps.com/ jungfraujoch/ gettingthere. This would be a very long day trip from Geneva. It takes 2 hours and 15 minutes to reach Jungfraujoch from Interlaken Ost. You could do part of the route: just go up to Kleine Scheidegg, for example. That’s still a very nice trip if the weather is good.

Gruyères is a good day trip from Geneva. Still two hours to get there, but that’s doable. I think Montreux would be a better base for you, but it might be hard to get a room there during the festival. You can consider Vevey as well.

Annika

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2015 at 12:52:48 #843654

Thanks Annika

I definitely consider your option about Kleine Scheidegg. Montreux is crowded wall to wall, at that time of year, so we decided to stay in geneva.

we are staying 4 days in Geneva. and would love to see the most beautiful places of switzerland. We are 2 adults and one 11 years old boy. My plan is to visit : Lausanne, Montreux,Enjoy the Golden pass to Interlaken, Gruyere, AND IF POSSIBLE : Lucerne, Bern

In my point of view, the IF POSSIBLE towns!! may be difficult to plan in 4 days!

1-What do you suggest other than those first cities or instead of them?

2-What Ticket pass do you recommend? “Lake geneva regional pass for 5 days” or “swiss pass for 3 days” or just buy the single trains tickets in stations or …??? Which one is more cost effective.

3- Assume I buy the swiss travel pass, Do I have to make a seat reservation in panorama routes online?

Annika
    7104 posts
    5 June 2015 at 16:45:21 #843655

Hi Pargol,

1. I would skip Lucern as it takes 3 hours to get there. Lausanne (40 minutes), Montreux (1 hour) and Bern (1h45) are perfectly fine. A boat trip and Rochers-de-Naye (combined with Montreux) would be good options too.

2. First decide on where you want to go, and then pick a pass as explained here. The Regional Pass Lake Geneva only makes sense if you stick to the covered region, please see myswissalps.com/ regionalpasslakegeneva / validity. With the longer trips you have in mind right now, a 3 or 4-day Swiss Travel Pass is a better choice: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass.

3. Seat reservations are not included in any of the passes. But you won’t need them for your plans, may be with the exception of the leg from Montreux to Zweisimmen. Please see myswissalps.com/train/ reservations and myswissalps.com/ goldenpass/tickets for further details.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2015 at 2:30:16 #843656

Hi Annika,

Thank you for your informative comments. I really appreciate it.

• The thread ‘Day trip from Geneva by Golden Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.