Handicap tags & spaces for vehicles in Europe

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 23:13:08 #816632

Are American handicap vehicle tags honored in Europe? Or are they given at car rentals w/validation?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 June 2018 at 23:56:34 #888242

Hi Jerry-

Don’t know the answer..but, I suspect not.

Note that we only speak for Switzerland, not “Europe.”

Ask your preferred rental car agency.

What benefit would you expect? I have not seen special parking spaces, for example. Perhaps that is a USA custom?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 2:03:18 #888243

Yes, probably due to US having a bit more room to accommodate. No worries. Just wondering.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 5:53:05 #888244

Hi Jerry,

I would check with your rental car agency. There are wheelchair parking spots in Switzerland but mostly at airports and rail stations. I didn’t see them too often outside of the larger towns but they are around. There are similar blue badges that are accepted here and around the EU.

A couple links I found:

http://www.disabledmot orists.eu/en/world_map /europe/switzerland.ht m
    https://smartexpat.com /switzerland/how-to-guides/health/disabili ty-support/people-with-disabilities

You may need to get an EU badge but your rental agency should be able to shed more light on this.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 June 2018 at 10:19:01 #888245

Thanks Lucas-

I guess that I’ll have to keep my eyes open more.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 11:04:31 #888246

Definitely not a lot….not like North America

• The thread ‘Handicap tags & spaces for vehicles in Europe’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.