Hang gliding or paragliding in Jungfrau region

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2018 at 4:16:44 #817437

Hi.

We will be staying in Grindelwald on Aug 13 and 14th, and think it would be awesome to hang glide or paraglide while we are in the area (staying in Grindelwald, but also spending a day in the Jungfrau Valley (I hope I’m getting these names/designations correct.)

We’re reading reviews and looking at websites, but are having a hard time telling if paragliding or hang gliding will be the more memorable experience.

And we also want to know if a flight from near Grindelwald or Murren will have more spectacular views than the other. (Although we know they will both be amazing!!)

A separate question would be is what you think of the First Cliff Walk in the height of tourist season. It looks awesome in the photos, but might be jam packed and miserable in Aug.

Any help or opinions you can give us would be greatly appreciated.

Heidi and Mike

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2018 at 12:27:50 #892261

Hi Heidi and Mike and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I haven’t done either activity so can’t say which is better. As you note I doubt you can go wrong. If what I see when I am in the area is anything to go by, para gliding is much more popular.

We have some options to look into on our activity page here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfrauregion/a ctivities – hopefully another member can give you a personal recommendation.

As for the Cliff Walk, it is a free activity and is right by the First gondola when you get off at the top. Easy to decide to do it when you are there. I imagine the earlier you go up the less busy it will be.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2018 at 16:00:59 #892262

Lucas is spot on try do do things early in the morning and you will miss the big queues and packed cable cars.

Den

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2018 at 17:36:54 #892263

Thank you for your advice, Lucas and Den.

We checked the activity link and read reviews, and have scheduled our paragliding tour for 8:30am leaving from Murren. Now, hopefully Mother Nature will cooperate and give us a clear morning.

And we will decide on the Cliff Walk at the time, as you suggested. Also doing Jungfraujoch early the following morning, per your advice.

Thanks again!!

Heidi

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2018 at 18:26:38 #892264

Great!

Happy Travels Heidi!

hannahsmom
    Participant
    16 posts
    30 July 2018 at 1:57:53 #892265

Heidi,

You will LOVE the paragliding! I did it from Murren a couple years ago. We also will be there in a couple weeks. First cliffwalk is free, and easy with great views. There’s also the First Flyer and Glider, trottbikes, and the Pfingstegg toboggan in the area. And I just saw something today about a new attraction on First…a giant airbag thing you jump onto. Not sure what that’s all about.

One other thing you should check out on YouTube. Search “via Ferrara murren”. Its an insane hike along the cliff wall from Murren to Gimmelwald. We may try that on this visit if we’re feeling brave enough. And we’re doing the Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg hike, and the Allmendhubel-Murren hike for sure this time. So much to do in this area!

Have a great trip!

Leah

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2018 at 4:48:40 #892266

Hannah’s mom!! Thank you so much for your encouragement and additional suggestions. I was super excited to look up via Ferrara Murren and add it to our itinerary… UNTIL I just watched the first youtube video. My hands were sweating within the first few seconds!!! We like adventure, but i think we’ll stick to something closer to the Mannlichen-Kleine Scheidegg hike (lol)… which was definitely on our list. And we’ll check out your other recommendations, too.

That’s cool that you’ll be there shortly after we will!!

mikefromva
    Participant
    9 posts
    30 July 2018 at 13:08:43 #892267

The paragliding from Murren was amazing and I don’t think you can beat this view. It was with Airtime based in Lauterbrunnen, but they bus to stechelberg and then cable car up to Murren… you could also optionally meet them up in Murren and they have a few pilots that live in Murren, so that may be easier even.

If you want another thrill… do the 4 different rides at First. The flyer and glider should be done right at 10am when they open… and then you can optionally do the First – Bachalpsee lake hike… and then ride the mountain carts and Trotti bikes (scooters) down… don’t miss those! So much fun. a bit scary at first, until you realize you basically need to ride the brakes the entire way down on the scooters.

The pfinstegg toboggan run was also fun, but extremely short… you will want to do multiple times.

One thing we didn’t do, but wanted to was bike from Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken… and you can also bike down from Murren to Lauterbrunnen. Apparently the hike from Stechlberg going uphill (the opposite way from Lauterbrunnen) is also very nice… we didn’t do any of these, but they were recommended to us by locals.

Cliff walks at First and also up to Schilthorn are nice and do not have lines except a short line for taking pictures at certain places.

If you want a nice challenge hike (not anything like Via Ferrata) can walk from Wengen up to Kleine Scheidegg (or down) and also the Eiger trail from Alpinglen to Eigergletscher.

The Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk is easy but a must do. If you are taking the gondola on Mannlichen up/down to Wengen, make sure to take the royal ride , on the top! 5 addtnl CHF per person, but so much more fun.

hannahsmom
    Participant
    16 posts
    30 July 2018 at 14:20:56 #892268

Mikefromva,

I’m glad you mentioned the royal ride on top of the cable car from Mannlichen to Wengen. I forgot they opened that. I’ll pay the 5 chf for that!

Leah

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 July 2018 at 15:51:06 #892269

mikefromva and hannah’s mom!

Thank you again for the new info. With each post, I am grateful for the advice and new ideas I hadn’t been aware of before…. and the suggestions on how to best take advantage of all that is offered.

Love the Royal Ride option!!

Heidi

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 July 2018 at 23:00:03 #892270

I went with Airtime paragliding two weeks ago and it was fabulous.. It was a fairly strenuous hike with about 500 feet of elevation change to the take off spot above Murren That was the only negative. Total airtime was 20 – 25 minutes and the views were spectacular. You can bring your own camera as long as they can secure it to their equipment but the guide also takes photos and video which you can preview and purchase at the end.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 August 2018 at 13:29:43 #892271

I’m loving hearing the raving recommendations for Airtime, because that is who we are also booked with!

And it’s good to know about the short but notable hike to the take off spot. That will help in our planning/expectations. So thank you!!

One more small, specific question about that adventure, should we bring gloves?

mikefromva
    Participant
    9 posts
    1 August 2018 at 14:55:34 #892272

no need for gloves

light jacket should be fine

very memorable experience!

• The thread ‘Hang gliding or paragliding in Jungfrau region’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.