Happyrail currency charge

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2018 at 0:00:17 #816688

Do anyone know what currency Happyrail will charge your credit card ? I understand their website can quote your prefer currency but I suspect they are not charging at your preferred currency. Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Sandra59
    Participant
    41 posts
    17 June 2018 at 5:35:00 #888493

Hi,

I purchased our Swiss Travel Passes via Happy Rail by credit card (I am Australian) the charge was made in CHF (Swiss Francs) and I was charged an Overseas TXN fee of 77.76 Australian dollars.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 June 2018 at 5:37:47 #888494

Hi Etravel,

As far as I know you can actually pay in the selected currency. If they change it you can always decide not to proceed to the actual payment step, but I haven’t seen that yet. Did you come across an issue?

Sandra’s example makes sense. If you go to https://www.happyrail. com/en/pass/europe/swi tzerland/swiss-travel-pass-consecutive you should see prices in CHF. If you don’t change that you’ll pay in CHF. Your bank may charge a fee as usual, and will convert to your home currency. Selecting your home currency to begin with may or may not be a bit cheaper.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2018 at 5:50:06 #888495

I did change the home currency to AUD because my credit card is in AUD, but I didnt proceed because I dont know if it is just for reference purpose. Sent a message to Happyrail to find that out but got no response yet, will wait for another 2 days and see if they respond.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 June 2018 at 6:15:55 #888496

They’ll respond tomorrow during office hours (CET). Please let us know your findings, thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2018 at 11:19:47 #888497

Got a reply from Happyrail and they suggested whatever currency I display will be the currency that they will charge, didnt try it yet as still comparing deals 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2018 at 11:58:19 #888498

That keeps it simple. What you see is what you get. 🙂

Thanks for the note!

Arno
    15484 posts
    18 June 2018 at 13:33:39 #888499

While comparing deals you’ll probably find that many retailers offer different prices in different currencies (so not simply the current exchange rate, but a higher one). In such cases a payment in CHF might be best as that’s the local currency in Switzerland, so no inflated exchange rate. As far as I can see Happyrail does not inflate exchange rates, and their prices are quite good anyway. If you can pay in your home currency and it is not an inflated exchange rate, that’s always the best option as your bank does not need to convert currencies.

If you’re looking for promotions you can find them here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/promotio ns. Comparing prices of the various retailers can be done here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/price.

Good luck deciding 🙂

patripe
    Participant
    8 posts
    25 June 2018 at 13:18:29 #888500

I just bought our STPs in Euros with Happyrail and paid in Euros.

From Spain definitely cheaper to buy in home currency as bank charges are horrific.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 15:55:36 #888501

Hello….We just purchased the Half Fare Cards from Happy Rail (you didn’t mention which pass you were referencing so I hope this helps). We were charged in CHF (which are currently virtually 1-1 with the USD). The HR price was the best at the time of ordering. We purchased with a no-foreign- transaction-fee credit card and we were not charged any fees, though I do not know if the CC itself made any difference. The 7.7% VAT was included in the final price. We had the passes printed out at home within 30 minutes of placing the order. We spent a LOT of time asking questions; looks like you are on the ball…..Have a good trip!

Arno
    15484 posts
    26 June 2018 at 16:52:02 #888502

Thanks for sharing your experiences Patripe and Dalcubo!

• The thread ‘Happyrail currency charge’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.