HappyRail timeout while trying to buy passes

• Njk50
    Participant
    69 posts
    8 August 2022 at 21:29:04 #828009

I have tried 3 times to buy super saver passes with HappyRail and have timed out all 3 times. when I contacted them all they could tell me was it looks like my payment failed. there is no reason why the payment should fail since I’ve been purchasing tickets and tours with the same card for months now. not sure what to do. can you help

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 August 2022 at 4:58:44 #945350

Hi Njk50,

I’m sorry to hear that! They could be right though. A card can work fine on most websites, but fail on another. That’s often due to the card missing a security feature that the particular payment provider of the website requires. The problem is that there is rarely a clear error message, so it leaves you clueless. I’m not sure if this is the problem in your case. If it is, there’s nothing HappyRail can do I’m afraid. You can either try again a day later (usually does not help), try another card, or buy from another web shop.

I’m not sure if you are trying to buy Supersaver ticket or Saver Day Passes. Please find a list of various trusted websites for both of them here:

I would try Omio as the first alternative: https://www.omio.com/trains/switzerland.

BibiL
    Participant
    40 posts
    9 August 2022 at 5:57:46 #945351

Hi Njk50,

I had the same experience last night, I must have tried 15 times to buy our Swiss Travel Pass from happyrail.

I finally gave up and went to the website of the Swiss Travel Centre. My purchase went through at the first attempt.

Hope you are able to buy your passes soon 😊

Kind regards

Njk50
    Participant
    69 posts
    9 August 2022 at 14:58:47 #945352

I looked at swiss centre but couldn’t find the super saver pass. we just want a pass for one day. thanks for replying though

Njk50
    Participant
    69 posts
    9 August 2022 at 15:03:17 #945353

thanks for replying. when I go to Omio I put in my locations and nothing comes up to buy a super saver pass. we just want a one day pass for lucerne to lauterbrunnen. not sure what I’m doing wrong.

Anna
    6362 posts
    9 August 2022 at 19:24:20 #945354

Hi Njk50,

The Supersaver ticket is not always available and they can also run out.

You can find more information on how to get Supersaver tickets here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerland

regards,

Anna

Njk50
    Participant
    69 posts
    9 August 2022 at 20:36:31 #945355

thanks everyone for replying but I think we have given up on the idea of trying to do an independant day tour. thanks again. appreciate the help

Arno
    15483 posts
    10 August 2022 at 5:40:13 #945356

Hi Njk50,

Just to clarify, even though you’ve dropped the idea of your day trip:

• Switzerland Travel Centre sells train passes, such as the Swiss Travel Pass mentioned by BibiL, and excursion/mountain tickets. You won’t find day tickets like normal tickets, Supersaver tickets or Saver Day Passes there.
    • Omio usually shows the cheapest option first. Then, if you click on a connection and price, other fares will be displayed. You may find Supersaver tickets or Saver Day Passes there if available, but in such cases they’ll be more expensive than normal tickets.

I hope you’ll find suitable tickets/passes for the plans you have in mind. Let us know if we can help you with that :-)!

Njk50
    Participant
    69 posts
    10 August 2022 at 15:30:09 #945357

thanks everyone for the information and help

• The thread ‘HappyRail timeout while trying to buy passes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.