Tickets Pontresina to Fussen via St. Margrethen

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 18:32:58 #816828

hi, we will be 2 adults & 2 youth traveling from Pontresina to Fussen, Germany on 22 July, with Swiss Travel Pass flex. Since our swiss travel pass will cover us to the border and we don’t need reservations for these trains, I was trying to buy tickets from St. Margrethen (leaving about 10:45 ) to Fussen (via Bregenz, Hergatz, & Kaufbreuren), arriving 14:55. However, all the connections on the Bahn.de website now have a bus ride in the middle. Tickets on the SBB site for the same route seem to be all train but are almost 100 euros more. Am I doing something wrong in the search or do you have any other suggestions?

I also tried Loco2 – they said they don’t sell that route and HappyRail .com site didn’t have anything of that timeframe available.

Thank you for your help

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2018 at 23:34:04 #889136

there is engineering work during the day (0900 – 16.00) on the Lindau – Munchen line June – August, that’s why there is a bus.

The Swiss timetable probably hasn’t been updated with the bus replacements, or the Swiss fare is via some very roundabout route

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2018 at 0:55:31 #889137

Is there any other route to get to Fussen? Maybe I missed something when looking on the train schedule.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2018 at 6:25:13 #889138

Not really. Not without going way out of your way in any case – probably not worth it to avoid a bus section. That darn Lake Constance is a pain sometimes!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 2:04:58 #889139

Thanks for the information. When I went to book tickets on the Bahn.de website it said – “We are sorry, but we can not sell your requested journey online. Please visit one of our DB travel centers, authorised DB travel agency or via phone: (0049) 180 6 99 66 33”

It appears we need to take a bus from Lindau to Hergatz,listed as “train replacement bus”. If I call to book through Bahn.de do you know if the bus would be included in the ticket price? Or do I need to just book tickets from St. Margrethen to Lindau (which may be covered by swiss travel pass flex?), then separate tickets from Hergatz to Fussen, and just find a bus when we arrive in Lindau? Would like to make this as simple and efficient as possible 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 11:57:44 #889140

You probably aren’t able to make the booking because there is a bus replacement service.If they sell you a ticket for the route it would definitely include the bus though.DB seems to be working for me on that route though.

The STP Flex won’t cover the trip beyond St. Margethen as you are then outside of Switzerland.

I’m not sure I would just look for a bus when you are there. You’ll want to try and buy a ticket for St. Margethen to Füssen online (you should be able to) and follow the connections (including any bus).

I don’t think construction/bus replacement should stop people from buying tickets. I haven’t heard of that before.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 13:03:25 #889141

Thank you, Lucas. I will pursue getting tickets ahead of time. I just tried again and it will let me buy tickets online for other times during that day (22 July) but not during the times the track work is going on. I guess either we will have to change the timing of our travel that day or I will have to call Bahn.de to book.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 16:05:35 #889142

Buying rail tickets in Europe is usually simpler 😉 but due to geography of the area and track work…well it’s just unlucky. I’m sure the rest of the trip will be smoother.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 23:24:11 #889143

I tried your route on bahn.de and got a price for the times which a bus in involved. However, the simplest way would be to leave St Margrethen on the 08.42 or before, thus travelling before the line closes for the day .

Also, it is train again after 14.42 (EC195 from St Margrethen)

• The thread ‘Tickets Pontresina to Fussen via St. Margrethen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.