Having second thoughts about Swiss itinerary

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    7 May 2018 at 7:08:42 #884219

Hello again,

If you are heading to Austria after your séjour in Switzerland I would suggest that you put Saint Gallen at the end.

Just in case you are able to modify part of your itinerary and are able to be in the Morat when the Musée in Vallon is open, I attach a third map, which shows Avenches on the right and I put in a green arrow to indicate the building where the Musée is located.

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    7 May 2018 at 7:16:50 #884220

Yes, we were intending to stay in St Gallen at the end for two nights. So if we still end up going to Locarno on the GPEX for two nights, that only leaves us with three nights (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday) in Bern/Murten area.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 0:08:12 #884221

I think three nights is adequate, the Morat/Murten and Avenches area is not huge.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 0:11:07 #884222

The hourly Bern – Brig Lötschberger services now run through the Simplon tunnel to and from Domodossola every 2 hours, in other words every other train runs through Brig without terminating there.

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2018/145.pdf

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    9 May 2018 at 5:02:06 #884223

Hello again,

Another place you and/or your husband might find interesting is the Swiss Military Aviation Museum, called Clin d'Ailes beside the air base in Payerne, very close to Avenches. I attach a map which shows with a red arrow the location of this museum, and a thin red dashed line showing the route to get there from exit 27 of the A1 (autoroute).

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    9 May 2018 at 11:58:57 #884224

OK, thanks.

Thinking that we may now give up on going from Locarno to Murten via Domodossola and go the other way, perhaps the Palm Express to St Moritz and spend two nights there before going on to Murten on the Glacier Express and Lotschberger.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 May 2018 at 17:40:30 #884225

<<“We won’t have a car so I’m not sure how we’ll get to Avenches from Murten – taxi maybe? “>>

Train

I think you have not yet learned to use the SBB timetable. It can help a lot.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Check the instructions on that link.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 May 2018 at 18:05:38 #884226

<<” Yes, we were intending to stay in St Gallen at the end for two nights. So if we still end up going to Locarno on the GPEX for two nights, that only leaves us with three nights (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday) in Bern/Murten area.”>>

Not disagreeing with Skt. Gallen, but the “Three Lakes Region – including Murten ( Morat if you prefer French) and Fribourg have a lot to offer. There has been some discussion in this thread about several interesting places nearby..

I happen to like Ligerz, but it is not for everyone’s taste.

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/take-your-time.html

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/take-your-time.html

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-us/murten.html

http://www.regionmurtensee.ch /en/

Slowpoke

And, you can always hop a train to Kaisersaugst for more Roman ruins, although it does take a couple of hours to get there from Murten.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Augusta_Raurica

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Kaiseraugst

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    9 May 2018 at 19:21:46 #884227

I agree 100% with Slowpoke about Ligerz (Gléresse in French). The north-west shore of Lac de Bienne is wonderful. Here’s a link to a sort video I made up above showing the descent of the funi that goes up to and down from to Prêles: youtu.be/pDml2iRSTKk

If you don’t mind the narration in Swiss-German, you might enjoy the following video, a walk from Twann via Ligerz to St. Petersinsel. The church above Ligerz that you will see at about 04m00 is in a particularly lovely setting. I’m pretty sure Slowpoke has done some of this walk. The meal at around 12m00 looks pretty nice as well. youtu.be/FUdel4YeZ8Y

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 May 2018 at 22:05:55 #884228

Bonsoir Peterli-

Very nice videos. You had wonderfully clear weather on the day that you captured the ViniFuni.

I think that you know that that funicular was modernized to t a single cable design. No longer two cars balancing each other’s weight on two ends of a cable looped over a pulley at the top. Now, it is like an elevator. One cable, big motor at the top, one car.

Once when I was thinking to ride up to the Pilgerweg, to walk over to the church for photography, on a day when my knees were a bit sore, I started to chat with the operator. Born in Twann, he had lived in the USA for several years. He made a quick ( between schdules) rnu to take me up to the Pilgerweg station. He could do it because he did not have to worry about another car on the other end of the cable. Very nice of him.

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    9 May 2018 at 22:27:20 #884229

I made my video from close to the stop you mention. What I do not like about the new ViniFuni is that all the windows are tinted orange ! http://www.funimag.com/funima g25/Ligerz03.htm It’s better to just walk. By the way, I see that the Swiss-Germans are not content enough with calling Gléresse Ligerz, but here it seems that Prêles and the Plateau de Diesse are not good enough so they call it Tessenberg. This looks like a subtle linguistic infiltration.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 22:45:02 #884230

On the subject of Roman sites, I also recommend Kaiseraugst. there is also Windisch near Brugg. Plus quite a few places near Lake Geneva.

Maggie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 May 2018 at 22:47:44 #884231

Grützi Peterli-

<<“What I do not like about the new ViniFuni is that all the windows are tinted orange ! http://www.funimag.com/funimag25/Ligerz03.htm It’s better to just walk. B”>>

I usually do. That day my knees were sore.

I have heard “Prêles ” more than Tessenberg, but I have heard both.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2018 at 0:00:58 #884232

Ligerz is a great little spot. The railway squeezes through one of the few remaining single track sections along the lake in that area. Eventually they will find a solution (probably a tunnel and a new section of high speed track as in other places along the same route – but for now take advantage of the local station still in its original position near the village.

The funicular at Ligerz is my favourite mountain railway in the world! It is ‘unique’ in starting from a German speaking location and ending in a French speaking one. It is usually know as the Ligerz – Tessenberg Bahn, but on printed timetables the heading has always been ‘Ligerz – Prêles’.

Glèresse is the leat used name in my experience.

There are places in Switzerland where the languages bump into each other, but this location is unique because the section of uninhabited steep mountainside ensures a distinct split between the languages at top and bottom of the hill!

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    10 May 2018 at 5:36:40 #884233

Looking at the info about the Palm Express, it shows that on 23 September it actually needs 2 changes between trains and buses. I thought it was all done on the one bus. Or has it stopped running as a single bus trip by 23 September?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2018 at 6:11:59 #884234

>> Palm Express, it shows that on 23 September it actually needs 2 changes between trains and buses. I thought it was all done on the one bus.

You’re right, the Palm Express is a bus (no. 631) that goes direct from Lugano to St Moritz. It leaves once per day from Lugano, Stazione Nord at 12:05, arriving St Moritz at 15:45, and reservations are compulsory and free.

Any connections involving a train are not the Palm Express, but alternative routes to get between Lugano and St Moritz.

Alpenrose

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    10 May 2018 at 7:02:12 #884235

Thanks

But there still seems to be a change of bus at Chiavenna for the 12.05 bus from Lugano. Does it just show that because the number of the bus changes?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 May 2018 at 7:06:24 #884236

Look at the next entry down in the timetable. See attached.

Judy52
    Participant
    131 posts
    10 May 2018 at 7:10:59 #884237

Thanks, yes, I just discovered that myself.

On the timetable I looked at it says it doesn’t run every day, but it shows it running on the 23 September. So hopefully that means it does run that day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2018 at 7:21:18 #884238

>> But there still seems to be a change of bus at Chiavenna for the 12.05 bus from Lugano

As you are now aware, that is just another option, which will get you to St Moritz 3 minutes earlier than the direct service. That’s the Swiss for you, giving you all the options just in case 3 minutes is critical for you …. 😀

The Palm Express takes a 20-minute refreshment break in Chiavenna from 14:00 to 14:20. People in a hurry could transfer to the 14:06 local bus from Chiavenna to St Moritz instead of waiting for the Palm Express to depart at 14:20. For passengers travelling through to St Moritz, that would only save them 3 minutes. However, for passengers intending to get off somewhere between Chiavenna and St Moritz, it might be worth it to change buses, especially if they are travelling without luggage.

>> On the timetable I looked at it says it doesn’t run every day, but it shows it running on the 23 September. So hopefully that means it does run that day.

Yes. If it wasn’t running on 23 September, it would not come up in a timetable search for 23 September.

It runs daily over the Christmas and early New Year period, then from 12 Jun–22 Oct 2018. Other times of the year it only runs 3 days per week.

Alpenrose

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • The thread ‘Having second thoughts about Swiss itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.