Helicopter ride to Jungfraujoch worth it??

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2018 at 1:01:07 #815551

Hi we are a Family of 4 with 2 teenagers and we will be reaching Genava early morning at 8.00am on 8th June 2018 for 4 night and 3 days and will be departing for Genava on the 12 th early morning.

My kids want to do the Helicopter ride to Jungfraujoch and also paragliding the swiss Alps.

My question is

1) Is the helicopter ride worth it? If yes then,

2) where do we stay and do in these 4 days?

If no then,

Could we stay in Montreux and do Glacier 3000?

Would really appreciate your inputs and advice to these first time Switzerland travellers.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    27 April 2018 at 4:26:11 #883342

Welcome to MySwissAlps Sam!

1) I haven’t done it and probably never will. I’m not sure if there are helicopter rides that give you a chance to actually land there to explore the place. The ones I heard about circel around the Jungfrau massif for a short time. No doubt it’s impressive, but I prefer the train ride. The train slowly gains altitude all the way from Interlaken at 560 m or so, to Jungfraujoch at 3354 m. A very interesting piece of engineering, with countless views along the way. Including a stop inside the famous Eiger for a look down it’s North Face. Personally I find helicopters in the Alps disturbing (apart from the necessary ones), not to mention that there are more eco friendly alternatives to get around. You’ll find lots of details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch.

2) For the Jungfrau region I’d recommend one of the smaller villages, not Interlaken unless you prefer a bigger central place over scenery. The options can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion. Yes, Montreux is a good base for Glacier 3000 and many other day trips. It’s very different from the Jungfrau region.

Have fun planning!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2018 at 5:47:01 #883343

Hard to say about helicopter rides being worth the cost…I’m sure they are to your kids!
    I’ve only been on a helicopter once back in Canada (as a flight to a destination not as a tour).

There are also helicopter rides available at the Glacier 3000. Read about my trip there in January here.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    28 April 2018 at 3:30:28 #883344

Hello there,

Paragliding in the Swiss Alps and flying by Helicopter to the Jungfraujoch ? Is this the first time your family is going to Switzerland ? Ah, the things that young people think are cool. This kind of reminds me of some Swiss friends who went to Canada and one of their younger daughter’s biggest wishes was to go to a place (a big detour and all kinds of traffic around Montréal) to jump on trampolines. I was reading just today (in Euronews) that a paraglider in Switzerland was attacked by an eagle. Read about it here: http://www.euronews.com/2018/ 04/27/paraglider-describes-midair-eagle-attack.

I agree with Arno about the best way to get to the Jungfraujoch. I did it with twenty-one 16 and 17 year-old students and they thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Back then the cost was not what it is today. The trip reminds one once again of the amazing Swiss engineering accomplishments.

I did some digging about helicopter rides in the Jungfrau regions and they are not cheap, not by a long shot. Man has always wanted to be able to rise into sky and look down and around like a bird and I must say that the following video is stunning: youtu.be/CiYVRaJyxEg Perhaps some day I will give something like this a try. It sure beats drone photgraphy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2018 at 19:16:39 #883345

Thanks all for your helpful advice.

We are in the planning stage and will update our iternary once finalized.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2018 at 20:56:25 #883346

Below is the tentative itenary

Day one- travelling from Geneva to Murren,Lauterbrunnen,Wengen staying at any one place where we find accomodation ( any activity suggestion in the afternoon?)
    Day Two – Going to Jungfraujoch via train and NOT Helicopter:))
    Day three-Any suggestion?
    Day four- May be travel back to Geneva
    Day five- Early 7.30 am flight out of Geneva

Also, we can’t do much Hiking as my Husband has a bad knee. May be a mile of straight walk but can’t go much up the hill.
    Recommendations and advice needed please:)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2018 at 4:08:56 #883347

Hi Sam0104,

Day 1: depends on when you arrive in the Jungfrau region…but are you looking for mountain trips or boat trips? Have a look at activities in the area here.

Day 3: Perhaps an easy hike from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg. You can stop at Trummelbach Falls on the way and/or go up to Schilthorn from Stechelberg via Murren.

• The thread ‘Helicopter ride to Jungfraujoch worth it??’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.