Late April 4 days Luzern & Wengen for first timer

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2017 at 19:01:57 #811028

Hi i will visit switzerland at end of april and really needs suggestion for itinerary and rail pass (plan take 4days swiss travel pass)

Day 1 around 1pm arrives zurich from salzburg by train. Then continue to luzern, go to rigi kulm. Stay at luzern

Day 2/3 if got a good weather then go to titlis, see luzern city. Stay at luzern(hotel booked)

Day 2/3 go to lauterbrunen/wengen, and also visit ballenberg museum, back to luzern to take luggage go to zurich. Stay zurich

Day 4 go to rhein falls, zurich city +uetilberg. Around 3pm take train to milan via goschenen (tellpass)

Is my itinerary feels too rush? I also plan day 1 just see luzern city(i will use 3day travelpass + 1day luzern city pass in this case), then day 2/3 mt.rigi can be combined with titlis or last day from zurich take train to arth-goldau go to mt.rigi first then continue to milan.

Which one is better?

Is there any snow at mt rigi at end of april? How long i must stay there to really enjoy the view?

Thanks for any suggestion

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    11 March 2017 at 15:36:15 #859928

Hello poonykun, welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think you could slightly change the order of your plans to prevent unneccessary train traveling and backtracking. You could start off with a day and night in Zurich, as that’s closer to Salzburg than Lucerne, so quicker to reach from Austria. You can explore the town and visit the Rhine Falls if you like. Next, spend some days in Lucerne for visits to Rigi, Titlis and other attractions you may like. I doubt whether you should visit the Ballenberg Museum, Lauterbrunnen and Wengen from Lucerne. It can be done, but it will be a long day and the Lucerne area has lots to offer for those few days as well. You’d best consult the timetable and see if you’re fine with the amount of traveling involved. Then, continue to Göschenen and Milan from Lucerne, not from Zurich, as again that’s a shorter trip.

I’d definitely pick a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass, as it will also cover the Swiss portions of your inbound trip from Salzburg and your outbound trip to Milan.

There might still be snow up at Rigi by late April, but there are no guarantees. About an hour up there will allow you to fully enjoy the views. Please see the Rigi page I linked to above for further information.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2017 at 17:08:36 #859929

thank you Annika for the suggestion.

i just got some updates, the hotel have been booked on day 2 at luzern and day 3 at zurich, and also got a ticket already from salzburg to zurich. soo the hotel that still flexible is day1 it will be zurich or luzern better? i read a lot of post said that luzern is better for sightseeing.

if day 1 stay at luzern, checked the train timetable already i will arrived at 14.25 , store the luggage at hotel/station, take boat to weggis, take cable car to rigi-kaltbad arrives at 16.20, see the view there (or try mineral bath at kaltbad spa, is it nice?), continue to rigi kulm arrive at 17.47. rest at rigi kulm for a while(hope have a good sunset from here) then descent at 20.00 back by boat via vitznau to luzern.arrives at 10PM. how bout that? or just sightseeing at luzern city / just like u said stay at zurich????

maybe i will pass ballenberg museum and just go straight to wengen/lauterbrunen, i assume i can see a lot of switzerland architecture in that place.

sorry i have a lot of question thanks before.

Annika
    7116 posts
    11 March 2017 at 17:46:20 #859930

Hi poonykun,

If your hotels for day 2 and 3 are already booked in Lucerne/Zurich, I’d spend the first night in Lucerne as well. I’m not so sure about your trip up to Rigi though. The latest train descends by 20:00, but there’s no return by boat that late. You’ll have to take a bus to Küssnacht am Rigi and then change to a local train back to Lucerne. Did you check the timetable I mentioned for details? If I were you I’d leave from Rigi earlier, or do it on one of the other days. Doing some local sightseeing in the town of Lucerne on your first afternoon, after the trip from Salzburg, would be a lot more relaxed.

Wengen/Lauterbrunnen are certainly scenic and so is the train trip to get there from Lucerne. As mentioned I would personally prefer to stay closer to the Lucerne region though during day 3 though. Consider visiting Pilatus (also for free with your Swiss Travel Pass), Rigi, the Swiss Museum of Transport or a boat trip over the lake to cut back on traveling times, even more so since you have to be in Zurich in the afternoon/evening of day 3. It will be a long trip from the Wengen/Lauterbrunnen to Zurich, and a lot shorter from Lucerne. But of course it’s all up to you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2017 at 18:21:06 #859931

thanks for the info Annika,

yes i just rechecked the timetable from vitznau to luzern, it will be by bus then change to train at kussnacht am rigi. thanks for mentioned it.

i will ask if i still can change the hotel at day 3 and stay at luzern, soo i can have more time at luzern area.

is scenery at wengen/lauterbrunen will be different with scenery at luzern area? i want to see some switzerland alpen house architecture and village.

is swiss travel pass cover cable car to pilatus kulm?? from what i know it just will give me 50% discount. if it fully covered by my travel pass it will be great.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2017 at 12:35:46 #859932

Hi Poonykun,

Yes, the scenery will be different from Luzern to Lauterbrunnen. Lauterbrunnen and Wengen are small villages and will be a good area to visit to see Swiss architecture and villages as you mentioned.

The Cableway from Kriens or Alpnachstad to Pilatus is free. You can see where the Swiss travel Pass is valid with Annika’s link above.

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2017 at 17:16:36 #859933

Thanks lucas for the info,

Looks like i read last year info of swiss travel pass that havent been updated.

i will arrives luzern around 2.30pm then go to pilatus kulm, how long i must stay at pilatus kulm for enjoy the view, is an hour is enough?(last ride ar 5.45pm)Im not gonna do hiking because i will go with my parents. After that enjoy luzern city.

Last day, from zurich visit rhein falls first, back zurich take luggage, go to rigi kulm via arth-goldau then continue to milan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2017 at 18:07:58 #859934

Hi Poonykun,

An hour I suppose would be sufficient to enjoy the views at Mt. Pilatus yes.

Sounds like a great trip, enjoy!

Lucas

• The thread ‘Late April 4 days Luzern & Wengen for first timer’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.