5 day Switzerland family visit in July, what to do

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2018 at 5:19:02 #816209

Hello there.

We are planning to visit Switzerland for 5 days by 1st week of July. We are a family of 5 with children aged 9, 5 and 3. We would be entering through Zurich then fly out towards Germany/France.

Please advisewhich places we could visit for 5 days in Switzerland and would be an advantage if we could stay in one accommodation..

Thanking you all in advance…

Liz

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2018 at 7:17:30 #886239

Hi Liz and welcome to MySwissAlps!

What is it you are interested in seeing and doing in Switzerland? There are many options.

Have a look at the following links for help:

Once you’ve decided what you want to see and do you can better decide where to stay that is centrally located for those activities.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2018 at 8:48:56 #886240

Hi Lucas, thank you!

This would be our first time in Switzerland, and yes, as a family coming from Dubai, we would be highly interested to see nature, i.e. river, lakes, jungle, forest, mountains, hills, museums and anything which not to be missed when in Switzerland. Planning to stay in Zurich for 2 nights, Luzern for 2 nights, too and Basel for a night then exit in France. Also, we need to take into consideration that we are a family with 3 children – 9, 5 and 3.

Thank you in advance!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 May 2018 at 9:59:52 #886241

I would suggest staying all nights in Lucerne or split between Lucerne and a town in the Jungfrau Region.
    Only stay a night in Basel if you have an early flight the next day.

Have a look at rail passes like the Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Family Card (covers all 2 oldest children for free and the 3 year old needs no ticket or pass).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 12:56:16 #886242

Hi there again Lucas.

Now, we got change of plans – so instead of Zurich, our inbound and outbound would be Geneva. We have a total of 16 days of travel – including arrival and departure. So, in those 16 days, am planning to include France and one more country, which am not sure which is more practical. And so saying that, we need to start all over again. An oh, by the way, we are booking our accommodation through Air BnB.

Please help….

TIA

Liz

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2018 at 14:42:18 #886243

Hi Liz,

This website only deals with Switzerland so I can’t help you on travel in other countries.

To help you decide on where to go in Switzerland I’d use my links on my last 2 posts for help.
    Specifically the regions link: https://www.myswissalp s.com/regions you can look through the various regions of Switzerland and decide what area appeals to you the most for your 5 nights.

A region that isn’t listed on there yet is Ticino if you interested in some Italian culture while in Switzerland.
    You can read about a recent weekend trip I made there here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/forum/topic/tici no-region-trip-march-31-april-2

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 21:27:42 #886244

Hi Lucas!

Hope you are well.

And so, we’ve finally decided, as per your advise, to make 2 bases – Jungfrau & Lucerne. So arriving to Geneva on 03 July, would go directly to Jungfrau and base there until 05 July morning then move to Lucerne would be there from 05 July until 09 July morning. Then 09 July we would move to Zurich, stay for a night then following day move to Paris. Is this good enough? But i really want to insert Zermatt and St Moritz, too..🤤 How?

Let me know your thoughts, please…

Thank you.

Lizxxx

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 5:58:49 #886245

If Zermatt and St. Moritz are high on your priority list then I’d go to Zermatt staright from Geneva, and the next day take the Glacier Express to St. Mortiz. The next day train to Lucerne via St. Gallen for a few nights.

Zermatt – 1 night
    St. Moritz – 1 night
    Lucerne – 3 nights (day trips from here around Lucerne or the Jungfrau region)

I don’t think you need to overnight in Zurich before heading to Paris. Are you flying or taking a train? In the early morning? If you are taking a train you can connect from Lucerne in the morning. Only if you have a very early flight would I bother to stay in Zurich. Trains from Lucerne can get you direct to Zurich airport before 7am (some trains trips require a change in Zurich main station).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 15:01:04 #886246

Hello Lucas.

But do you think it’s all worth it? or should i stick with Jungfrau and Lucerne? which is more practical to add betweeen Zermatt and Moritz?

Thanks,

Liz

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 15:43:01 #886247

hi Lucas.

Could i have your contact no? am extremely confused now as you could possibly see😨😱

Thanks,

Liz

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 20:22:15 #886248

Hi Liz,

I can’t tell you if certain towns or areas are worth the effort for you. It is different for everyone. All I can do is give you information on the areas and what there is to do – you’ll need to decideon your itinerary in the end.

You said your primary interest on this trip is mountains and “Swiss” scenery so I would go to Zermatt to see the Matterhorn, then take the Glacier Express train to St. Moritz and then go to either Lucerne or the Jungfrau region.

In 5 days you don’t have time to do everything I’m afraid.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 5:13:45 #886249

Hi Lucas,

We already finalised our booking – so we got to stay in Lucerne for 4 days and 4 days in Isteltwald.

What could you suggest, please?

Thanks a ton!

BR,

Liz

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 8:21:18 #886250

Hi Liz Both are nice areas. You’ll be able to enjoy a lot of Swiss mountain scenery.

I gave you information links for our web pages on Lucerne and the Jungfrau region on an earlier post. Have you read through them to see what interests you? Both towns are nice options for the surrounding areas.

There are many suggestions of what you can do on those information pages and be sure to use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out trips from the towns you are in to see how long it will take you. https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 13:42:36 #886251

Hi Lucas,

Yep, i did, very helpful indeed. Just quite worried that we would fail to cover / see or miss the best of the very best, hehehe. Do we need to secure the swiss pass? where do we get it from?

Also, kindly send me links for Zurich and Geneva as we have 2 and 3 days to spare respectively.

Thanks a lot, Lucas! Appreciated, indeed…

BR,

Liz

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2018 at 16:32:52 #886252

Hi Liz,

You can find town pages under “where to go” at the top of our website. Also do be sure to use the search box as well to search for questions.

It is hard to say what is the very best or what can’t be missed, as it depends on the person. Spending time in the Jungfrau region gives you a change to see some of the most popular mountain attractions in Switzerland though and that seems high on your to-do list. Look through those details here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfrauregion/a ctivities

Use the timetable link on my last post to find out how to get between towns and mountains etc.
    It’ll be hard to include the Glacier Express trip from either Lucerne or Iseltwald but you could do part of it if you go to Zermatt for a day. Perhaps between Zermatt and Andermatt for example and then train up to Luzern or back to Isletwald

• The thread ‘5 day Switzerland family visit in July, what to do’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.