7-8 night Switzerland itinerary help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2017 at 11:10:20 #810986

Hi,

Just joined the myswissalps.com. You guys are doing a great work and really amazed. Planning to travel to Swiss with my family (self, spouse, 2 boys of 12 and 8 years). Planning to arrive Zurich on 22nd June and leave Zurich on 29 June or 30 June. Would like to cover Zurich city (incl Rhine falls), Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt (Glacier), Jungfraujoch and a day in Geneva. The tentative plan I have is as follows:

Day 1 – noon arrival at Zurich – travel to Lucerne and night stay at Lucerne

Day 2 – cover Mt Titlis and sight seeing at Lucerne

Day 3 – Lucerne to Zermatt – on Glacier trip – night at Zermatt

Day 4 – morning – Zermatt to Interlaken – cover Jungfraujoch

Day 5 – interlaken sight seeing

Day 6 – Interlaken to Geneva – Geneva day trip and sight seeing

Day 7 – Geneva to Zurich – Zurich sight seeing – night at Zurich

Day 8 – Zurich & Rhine falls

The above is my tentative plan. Would like to know if this is workable or do you have any better suggestion? Also, please let me know if i can have a fixed base and cover all these locations instead of shifting night stay at different places? If so, which place would be more efficient?

Thank you for your assistance.

Radhika

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2017 at 17:44:56 #859677

Hi Radhika and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think it would be easier to have a fixed base (and it is a good idea) if you drop Geneva. Is there something there you are intent on seeing?

My rough itinerary would look like:

Day 1 – noon arrival at Zurich – travel to Lucerne and night stay at Lucerne
    Day 2 – cover Mt Titlis and sight seeing at Lucerne
    2 nights Luzern (local German spelling)
    Day 3 – Lucerne to Zermatt – on Glacier trip – night at Zermatt – Glacier Paradise? Glacier Express train?
    1 night Zermatt
    Day 4 – morning – Zermatt to Interlaken and Jungfraujoch
    Day 5 – Interlaken sight seeing or Jungfraujoch if weather looks better
    Day 6 – Interlaken to Montreux on the Golden Pass panoramic train, explore Montreux and Lake Geneva and return to Interlaken
    Day 7 – explore Lake Thun and/or Lake Brienz on a boat cruise or visit Schilthorn or Schynige Platte.
    4 nights Interlaken
    Day 8- Zurich & Rhine falls

This is just a rough idea for you. There are more options and things to do at each town under the “what to do” tab.
    You could add a night in Montreux and take it from Interlaken if you wish. You may be also able to avoid a night in Zermatt and add that to Montreux depending on train schedules and how much moving you want to do.

As for train passes, you can purchase an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass (both adults) and then the children are covered by the free Family Card add-on. this will cover virtually all train and transit trips in Switzerland.

I hope this helps with your travel planning. Let me know if you have further questions!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2017 at 7:42:06 #859678

Thank you Lucas. Very useful. Now i have taken your comments and amended the schedule. Let me know if this is doable!

Day 1 – arrival in Zurich at 2 PM and then proceed to Luzern by train – evening and night spend in Luzern

Day 2 – visit Mount Titlis, Lion Monument, – night at Luzern

Day 3 – visit Kapellbrücke (chapel bridge) and Pilatus – night at Luzern

Day 4 – early morning leave Interlaken – spend Interlaken sight seeing – night at IL

Day 5 – IL to Jungfraujoch – back to IL – night at IL

Day 6 – Day trip to Montreux via Golden Pass Panaroma train – night at IL

Day 7 – Morning Interlaken to Andermatt via train

Day 7 – Noon – Andermatt to Zermatt via Glacier Express

Day 7 evening – Zermatt to Zurich via train – night Zurich

Day 8 – Rhine falls at Zurich and sight seeing

Day 8 – evening fly out of Zurich

Summary – 3 nights each at Luzern and Interlaken and one night at Zurich.

I feel day 7 is packed with train journey – but hopefully its possible. Any thoughts? Is there any concern in night travel in train?

Couple of clarification – Is there a transit in Zermatt from Glacier to local train . How long it takes to transit? Is it same station at Zermatt?

We are interested to see a chocolate factory as well. Is it possible to cover on Day 6 either in Interlaken or Montreux?

Do you / know any who organise day trips to Mount Titlis, Pilatus, Jungfraujoch. I know of viator. Any other travel companies – ideas welcome.

Your thoughts and feedback on the above are most valuable.

Radhika

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2017 at 8:38:29 #859679

Hi Radhika,

Yes day 7 is a bit much. you can check the exact times and schedules here. It will be about 3 hours from Interlaken to Andermatt with 2 train changes. Then from Andermatt direct to Zermatt on the Glacier Express (departs around 2 pm usually).

Then from Zermatt later that day to Zurich is about 3.5 hours (and you don’t arrive until 5pm in Zermatt on the Glacier Express) so you will get in fairly late in Zurich and not have really any time in Zermatt to explore if that is a concern for you.

You can certainly get to the chocolate factory in Broc from Montreux (1.5 hours each way) or continue on to Interlaken from Broc (about 2.5 hours).

Regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2017 at 16:55:30 #859680

Thank you Lucas. Considered your comment on Day 7. Please see if the below itinerary is workable.

Day 1 – arrive Zurich at 2 PM and proceed to Luzern by train

Day 1 – visit Chapel Bridge & night stay at Luzern

Day 2 – Mt Titlis, Lion Monumen – night at Luzern

Day 3 – Pilatus in the morning and by noon / evening travel to Interlaken by train – night @ IL

Day 4 – Jungfraujoch and back to IL – night @ IL

Day 5 – Montreux via Golden Pass Panaroma & back to IL – night stay @ IL

Day 6 – morning – Interlaken to Andermatt —> Zermatt via Glacier Express

Day 6 – night stay at Zermatt

Day 7 – sight seeing at Zermatt and leave to Zurich via train by noon

Day 7 – evening sight seeing at Zurich

Day 8 – Rhine falls and fly off by evening.

Summary 2 nights at Luzern, 3 at IL and 1 each at Zermatt and Zurich.

Please let me know your thoughts…

Regards

Radhika

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2017 at 17:20:04 #859681

Hi Radhika,

Yes, everything looks nice to me now! 🙂
    I think that is a pretty manageable and fun trip!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2017 at 17:25:11 #859682

Thanks a lot Lucas for your help.

• The thread ‘7-8 night Switzerland itinerary help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.