Help for a 6 nights Swiss itinerary. Pleaseeeee !!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 August 2014 at 16:14:04 #806564

Hi there,

We are travelling to Switzerland for 6 nights in September. I am doing it all by myself without a travel agent hence need help to sort it out. Our itinerary is as
    follows

10th Sep: Reaching Zurich at 8 am. Moving to Lucerne immediately by Train. Overnight Lucerne

Please advise any day activity for the 2nd half in Lucerne

11th Sep: Lucerne

As of now – planning to go Mount Titlis day tour. Please advise where and when to buy tickets or the same. Or else another activity for a full day instead of Titlis

12th Sep: Grindelwald
    Take 1st train to Grindelwald from Lucerne on 12th morning. Please advise full day activity in Grindelwald

13th Sep: Grindelwald

As of now – planning to go for Jungfrouch day tour. Please advise where and when to buy tickets or the same. Or else another activity for a full day instead of Jungfrouch

14th Sep: Zermatt
    Take 1st train to from Grindelwald to Zermatt on 14th morning. Please advise full day activity in Zermatt

15th Sep: Zermatt
    Please advise full day activity in Zermat

16th Sep: Travel by train to Paris from Zermatt – loussanne starting at 8 am. Reach Paris by 4pm.

Would greatly appreciate if my following doubts are cleared

1) Half fare pass or Flexi Pass. If Flexi pass then for how many days
    2) When and where to buy the day excursion trip to Titlis / Jungfrouch / any other suggestion
    3) My hotel bookings are still blocked (not paid) So i can cancel. Suggest any alternate itinerary if you find it not suitable. Specially worried if two days in Zermatt are required. Should I make 1 day to Interlaken and then one day only in Zermatt. I am taking final train from Lousanne to Paris. This ticket is booked and cannot be changed.

Please advise.

Regards

Anand
    India

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 August 2014 at 16:58:57 #840807

Hi Anand,

Please find my thoughts below:

1) I would take a 4-day Swiss Flexi Pass and use the free travel days on the 10th, 12th, 14th and 16th. It allows you to add additional trips on those days for free. On the 10th for example, you could do a boat trip or visit Mount Rigi free of charge. Whether a Swiss Half Fare Card is cheaper can be determined if you do the math as explained here. I don’t think it is if you use your free travel days wisely.

Make sure to get the discount of up to INR 4000 on your pass! See the Swiss Flexi Pass promo section for details.

2) Further suggestions for what to do and where to get tickets can all be found on our website. Just go to the region or town page of your choice and click to the “What to do” section. Here’s just one example for Lucerne: http://www.myswissalps.com/lucerne/activities. Or use the search box. Feel free to let us know if information is missing.

3) I think your itinerary makes sense. The only disadvantage is that you have very limited time in each region. Two days in Zermatt is definitely not too much. People spend a full week or more there. There’s a lot to see and do, especially hiking.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 August 2014 at 4:10:51 #840808

Dear Arno,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am glad to know that the itinerary is kinda ok. Please clarify the following if youu can spare some time

1) I understand that if I buy a half fare pass, the discount on the day excursions like to Mt Titlis or Jungfraujoch is more (50%) than the discount offered on a flexi Pass on non-travelling days for these trips. Can you please confirm this.

2) For the day trips to Titlis and Jungfraujoch , does the price increase as time passes by. Can i not buy them when I reach Switzerland, or should I buy them online now.

3) My wife has a back problem and is not advised hiking or long walking at a stretch. Keeping that in mind, is Zermatt / Grindelwald still ok or do I need to switch to a more “friendly” destination like Interlaken.

Thanks a lot again for your time. Really appreciate it.

Regards

Anand

Arno
    15483 posts
    8 August 2014 at 5:55:02 #840809

Hello Anand,

1) For the Titlis, both passes offer 50% off. For the Jungfraujoch, the Swiss Half Fare Card offers 50% off the entire trip, the Swiss Flexi Pass offers free traveling until Wengen or Grindelwald (on a free travel day, or 50% off otherwise), and 25% off the remaining leg. You can download the validity maps from the Swiss Flexi Pass page and Swiss Half Fare Card page I gave you in my previous reply.

Please make sure to look into the promotion I mentioned. You may get a bigger discount on the Swiss Flexi Pass. Also see this page about how to compare.

2) The price usually does not increase during the year. Tickets can be purchased locally or online: Titlis tickets, Jungfraujoch tickets.

3) Distances in all towns are pretty limited, but Interlaken is more flat than the other two.

• The thread ‘Help for a 6 nights Swiss itinerary. Pleaseeeee !!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.