Which Swiss rail pass and how to plan journey?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 January 2018 at 8:30:11 #814118

Hi,

Ive plan to visit swiss at the end of feb eith my wife. I already booked train from paris – zurich, zurich – paris and also hotel. Here are the plan :

• 25 Feb : ETA at Zurich HB (2230) and will check in at Ibis Budget Zurich City West.
    • 26 Feb : Check out hotel. Enjoy and walk around Zurich. Move to Lauterbrunnen and check in at Schutzen Hotel
    • 27 Feb : Heading to Jungfraujoch
    • 28 Feb : Check out and return to Zurich and will heading to Paris by 1330

# Can u guys help me to manage and choose what kind of pass for this trip and for sure the cheapest one and also can reach the destination on time or one hour before. Only transportation in swiss just stuck in my head now. Hopefully u guys can help me to give a suggestion about the transportation in swiss as soon as possible. Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 January 2018 at 15:06:57 #874928

Hi alfieshahrin, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

It looks like you’re not going to plan a lot of traveling in Switzerland. You might want to have a look at the Swiss Half Fare Card. This card gives you 50% discount on your train trips and Jungfraujoch. Or check out the Eurail Select Pass which also covers the train in France and gives you 25% discount on Jungfraujoch.

To be really sure which pass is the cheapest for your trip, you will need to check the prices of all your planned train, bus, gondola, boat tickets (you plan to take) and do the math to compare prices. We have a page here on how to choose the best rail pass that has a spreadsheet to help you.

Use the Swiss timetable to plan your trip and be sure to check this page as well: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/gettingther e

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 January 2018 at 22:25:24 #874929

Hi,

We are planning a trip to Europe and will be going to Switzerland in April and are planning a number of train trips.

We will be in Vienna a week before we go to Zurich and I have noticed on the SBB app that you can buy a Day Pass Ticket for Swiss Trains.

Can I buy a Day Pass Ticket for each of the days I will be using the trains and then have unlimited access to trains for those days.

I will buy these Day Pass Tickets on the SBB app in Vienna before I get to Zurich.

What are the pros and cons of doing my travel this way as compared to a Swiss Rail Pass.

Thanks and Regards David

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 January 2018 at 4:25:38 #874930

Hello David and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

The Saver Day Pass can be good value if you get it at the right price. Prices vary from time to time and you would generally need to buy 10 days ahead of your travel date in order to get the lowest price. Even then the lowest price is not guaranteed depending on demand. They are only available 30 days before the travel date. Also note that it does not cover several mountain railways and cable cars in the same way the Swiss Travel Pass does. Mt Rigi near Lucerne is an exception.

You might want to read this thread http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/new-deal-on-saver-day-pass.

You should also read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2018 at 6:05:06 #874931

Hi Rockoyster,

Thanks for the information and I have read the postings and all stating to come together.

Another Question

We are planning to go from Zurich to Brig, then the Glacier express to Chur and then return Zurich from Chur all on the same day.

If I purchase a Day Pass well in advance for the cheapest leg would I be covered for all 3 legs.

If this is the case all I would need to do is make a reservation on Glacier Express leg (Is this a correct assumption?)

Thanks and Regards,

David

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 January 2018 at 6:22:50 #874932

Hi David,

A Saver Day Pass gives you unlimited travel on most trains on a given day. It does not relate to “legs” of journeys.

It would cover you for that entire trip. You just need to buy a reservation for the GEX.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 January 2018 at 6:40:01 #874933

Hi Rockoyster,

Thanks for all your help that has cleared all my questions.

Regards,

David

• The thread ‘Which Swiss rail pass and how to plan journey?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.