Help in choosing cheapest travel option

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2012 at 5:55:33 #805319

Hi,
    I was really grateful if you are able to tell me what would be the best option for being able to follow the below itinerary.

May 31st (evening) – Basel Airport to Lausanne (no other journey)
    June 1st – Lausanne to Mt Titlis and back
    June 2nd – Lausanne to Interlaken and back
    June 3rd – Lausanne to Geneva and back, then Lausanne to Zurich
    June 4th – Travel in Zurich city
    June 5th (morning) – Zurich to Basel Airport

I am travelling with my wife and my child who is an infant (1.6 years). Lausanne and Zurich stay fixed on the dates mentioned, as we have friends who have invited us over.

I was thinking of getting two 4-day Swiss pass for us (226*2=452), plus normal tickets (no half fare) for the May 31 and June 5 travel via trains which would cost us close to 200 CHF (saw from sbb.ch). So the total cost for us for the itinerary is 652 CHF.

Do we have a cheaper way to travel the above places?

Also, we are planning to skip Jungfrau and Glacier Express because of time constrains and the place of stay. Is one or both of them must see places?
    We were told that it is difficult to travel to Jungfrau with children, that is also one of the reasons why we thought of skipping it.

Many thanks in advance for the replies.

Maveric

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    30 May 2012 at 14:17:58 #836277

Hi Maveric, and welcome! A 4 day Swiss Saver Pass would be a good option indeed. However, I would use it on May 31 up to June 3 and buy regular tickets for your trips within Zurich and for Zurich-Basel Airport on June 4 and 5. That’s because Zurich-Basel is shorter and thus cheaper than Basel-Lausanne. You could consider an additional ZurichCard for June 4.

The Glacier Express doesn’t fit well into your plans, I agree. It’s a beautiful route, but so are the other train routes you plan to make. As for the Jungfraujoch: there’s no problem visiting it with children. Just be aware of signs of high altitude sickness, but that goes for adults too. If weather is fine on June 2, you may give it a try, or else travel up to Kleine Scheidegg which is very impressive as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2012 at 4:21:03 #836278

Hi Annika,
    Thanks much and really appreciate your response for my query. I feel what you have suggested is the best option for the Swiss pass.
    I have one more query? I was thinking of making the Mount titlis trip on June 3, in a way that we go from Lausanne to Mt Titlis and from there to Zurich.
    This will save us coming back to Lausanne.
    My question is, do you have any idea if we can keep our luggage on Engelberg railway station?

Swiss Saver Pass – Is the price same if booked online or at the railway stations?

Thanks
    Maveric

Annika
    7116 posts
    1 June 2012 at 11:35:11 #836279

Hi maveric! Yes, there’s a luggage facility at the railway station of Engelberg. As for pass prices: please fill out your country of residence and other data in the upper right corner of the Swiss Pass page and the select the pass you prefer. Purchase options and prices will be displayed. Please note that you may be eligible for these summer sales. If so, the Rail Europe prices will be even lower than displayed.

• The thread ‘Help in choosing cheapest travel option’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.