Rail pass for 1 week Zurich Zermatt Lucerne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2018 at 8:16:20 #815736

Hi,

Will be visiting Swiss from 12 July to 19 July and need some help in planning as its my first time is Swiss.

We will land in Zurich at 10am. And the plan is to travel to Zermatt to stay for 2 nights. Then from Zermatt to Interlaken or Lucern for another 2 nights and then back to Zurich for 2 more nights before flying off.

We plan to take the train for the 1 week from town to town and plan to visit Jungfrau or Mt Titlis.

What kind of rail pass should I be buying? Its just so confusing with so many sites selling. Is there like one site for me to purchase all my tickets one shot? Really appreciate all you experts advice.

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 May 2018 at 8:34:48 #884269

Hi Liverpudlian and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Have I got a deal for you. Buy an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass) and all your ticket buying worries are solved.

It’s like the Lord of the Rings for trains – one ticket to rule them all.

Buy it on-line, print at home and just hop on any train you like.

Use the Swiss Train Timetable (goo.gl/PXbqWw) to plan your travel. If you are not familiar with the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions at bit.ly/2IwxrEV.

If that all sounds too easy and you’re the type who enjoys pouring over spreadsheets then you should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math.

ps You will be visiting Switzerland. Swiss is the nationality.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2018 at 9:09:13 #884270

Hey thanks for the advice. Will definitely be getting the 8 day pass.

You are also the 2nd person to correct me on Swiss. Hahah I was just being lazy in typing.

Would you reckon Lucerne or Interlaken to be a better stop? Or maybe 1 day each?

Just a couple trip for sight seeing.

Bern seems like a nice place but having limited time in Switzerland.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 May 2018 at 9:22:37 #884271

Lucerne is a great city. If you want to adjust your stays I’d say more in Lucerne less in Zurich.

Interlaken is a good transport base in the Jungfrau region but Wengen is a wonderful alpine village right in the centre of the beautiful scenery. Have a look at that.

Never been to Bern.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2018 at 15:16:18 #884272

If your focus is on mountain scenery during the trip I’d stay 1 night at most in Zurich (if needed due to flight times).

I’d try and do 2 nights in Zermatt, 2 nights in Wengen or Grindelwald (instead of Interlaken), 2 nights in Lucerne and maybe the last night in Zurich if needed (or just train from Lucerne to Zurich airport on your last day if possible.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2018 at 11:58:43 #884273

Sounds like a plan. Most likely just a night in Zurich then.

Yes really sight seeing trip for us. Europe is an expensive place to shop and as I will be flying to Lisbon after that, many said Lisbon seems to be a cheaper place for shopping.

Is Zermatt the only place that can do summer ski?

Thanks man!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2018 at 13:18:06 #884274

Zermatt is a good bet for summer skiing yes.

My recommendations are based on mountain sightseeing – there are other things for tourists to see and do as well so bear that in mind. 🙂

Portugal is maybe 100 times cheaper than Switzerland. 🙂 That may be a slight exaggeration but it is cheaper. 😉

• The thread ‘Rail pass for 1 week Zurich Zermatt Lucerne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.