Help with train planning & Swiss Travel Pass usage

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2018 at 17:55:55 #819104

Hi there!

I’m trying to plan a trip to Switzerland next summer. I’ve been doing loads of google investigation and forum reading, it’s a bit difficult to figure out trip details with so many locations so I was hoping someone with more context could help! First time in Switzerland of course. I already narrowed down where we want to go and have an idea of amount of days, now I could use some help getting the train routes down!

I’ll outline below, could someone help me understand what the Swiss travel pass does and doesn’t cover? Amount of time from one location to the next etc.? Feel free to tell me if anything is too far from one point to the next or if you have any recommendations on how to better arrange my itinerary or if I should add/skip anywhere. I just want to truly experience the beautiful nature of Switzerland!

Zurich (1-2 days) –> Lucerne (3 days) —> Interlaken (go to Grindelwald / Jungfraujoch – 3 days) —> Zermatt (2-3 days) –> Zurich (1-2 days) -> fly back home to US.

I understand Zurich to Lucerne is pretty simple. I’m more worried about how to get from interlaken to Grindelwald / Jungfraujoch then from that area to Zermatt, also how to get from Zermatt to Zurich again as I know it’s far.

Thank you for the help it’s greatly appreciated!!!

Kim

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 December 2018 at 19:16:35 #899938

Hi Kim and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can find train routes/options to and from any town or mountain in Switzerland using the Swiss railways timetable here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. By default it gives you the fastest connections available.

As for what routes are covered (most 100% some partially) by the Swiss Travel Pass be sure to examine the PDF map (and list of attractions) here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity

That should give you all you need to plan out your trips and find any extra costs over the purchase of the Swiss Travel Pass.

If your focus is on the natural beauty of Switzerland I would not worry about spending much or any time in Zurich. It is a lovely city with a lot of things to do but no real mountains. You could add some nights in the areas you already plan to visit or look at other possible regions if you like: http://www.myswissalps.com/re gions

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 December 2018 at 1:25:39 #899939

<<“If your focus is on the natural beauty of Switzerland I would not worry about spending much or any time in Zurich. It is a lovely city with a lot of things to do but no real mountains.”>>

Hi Lucas –

I agree 100%, and I know that you used to live in/near Zürich.

Still, it is very nice city, with many cultural attractions and good restaurants. Nice Old Town, too.

For Kim- when in “next summer”? Lots of seasonal variations in services, etc……especially at higher altitudes.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2018 at 7:56:55 #899940

It is a lovely city indeed – quite the contrast here in Berlin 😉

It is just that if Kim’s focus is on the “beautiful nature of Switzerland” I wouldn’t spend up to 4 nights in Zurich during her trip. 1 or 2 would be sufficient I think, depending on her plans for Zurich.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 December 2018 at 12:25:16 #899941

Agreed, with her stated goal.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2018 at 15:39:37 #899942

Thanks everyone for your advice so far. A few clarifications:

I’m thinking of taking the trip around end of July-August. More likely August assuming prices may start lowering then but I haven’t started looking at that yet since I want to plan the itinerary first.

Definitely not thinking of spending any longer than 1-2 days in Zurich, especially since we plan to come back there in our return so I may do the extra sightseeing towards the end. Here’s what I’m thinking in terms of day distribution:

1-2 Days in Zurich on arrival, 3 days in Lucerne, 3 days in Interlaken region etc, 2 days in Zermatt, return to Zurich and spend another night or two. I’m mostly concerned about the trip from Zermatt to Zurich being long/tiresome, or too much jumping around in general.

Is Zermatt/Matterhorn worth the stop in the summer? Should I just spend more time in the Bernese Oberland region?

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2018 at 19:10:43 #899943

Hi Cari,

Zermatt to Zurich can be done in about 3 hours so it isn’t too tiring (I think). Us North Americans find that a piece of cake right? 🙂

I think Zermatt (http://www.myswissalps.com/ze rmatt) and the Matterhorn are great and worth it if you don’t plan on coming back to Switzerland in the future. That being said there is more than enough to see/do in the Bernese Oberland (http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland) to keep you busy for the entire trip and more.

It will come down to you deciding on your priorities on what to see and how much moving around you can deal with. To me your itinerary seems pretty good as you have it. Though I’d either leave straight for Lucerne upon arrival or head straight to Zurich airport from Zermatt when you leave. (Unless very early or very late flight times prevent that). Then you can add days in the Interlaken area without skipping Zermatt and not adding an extra hotel move.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 December 2018 at 21:04:43 #899944

Hi Kim –

If I were you, I’d head immediately to Luzern upon arrival. Only about an hour and 5 minutes from airport tot Luzern main station. Several options per hour. The timetable will show you which one is direct and does not require a transfer at Zürich main station. The variety of things that you can do there provides a good match to different ways of defeating jet-lag. You have not been specific about how you wish to experience the natural beauty of Switzerland, but, if you plan to do some easy walks or hikes, there are quite a few nice ones around Lake Lucerne, as well as the Bernese Oberland. A boat ride on Lake Lucerne will show you a lot of beautiful scenery, as you can see from the images in this post about hiking around the lake:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

I sometimes use such a boat ride to get away from summer heat, or to fill a jet-lag afternoon.

Actually, we don’t know a whole lot about your specific interests. Perhaps visiting the Old Towns in various cities, dating back to medieval times, never destroyed in WWII, is included in your interests?

<<“More likely August assuming prices may start lowering then>>

August is high season for the summer, in fact, for the year.. Highest prices, highest tourist density. In Europe, many,many people have their vacation in August, and school is out. September is by far a better month. Fewer crowds, on average the best weather of the year..

http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit.

<<“I’m mostly concerned about the trip from Zermatt to Zurich being long/tiresome, or too much jumping around in general.”>>

A train ride from Zermatt to Zürich is quite pleasant, not tiring, and has an option to add a very scenic stretch through the Kandertal, via Kandersteg. Most people find the trains to be very relaxing, and there is nice scenery out the window even on the non-panoramic trains.

Play with the timetable to understand possible routes, and, using the “via” option, insert Kandersteg. The timetable, linked by Lucas, is probably the most important single accessory for travel in Switzerland. And, a smartphone app is available. Great while traveling, but not as useful as the main timetable for trip planning.

Tommyc
    Participant
    17 posts
    11 December 2018 at 16:34:49 #899945

Hi Kim,

I also plan to visit Switzerland in September next year, I had my itinerary build up almost finish, which is similar to yours.

Arrive in Zurich – Luzerne 3 nights – Grindelwald 3 nights – Zermatt 2 nights – St. Moritz 1 night – Triano Italy. Will do Rigi, Schwyz Bahnhof, Stoosbahn, Boat trip Brienz & Bern, First, Mannlichen LWN hike to Kleine Scheidegg, Gornergrat. I will buy a 8 Days Swiss Travel Pass.

In this itinerary, I will also include 2 scenic train route: the Glacier Express and Bernina Express, this 2 unique route is fully covered by Swiss Travel Pass (but need seat reservation). I had experienced with the Bermina Express 5 years ago, still remember every beautiful scenes along the way, what an unforgettable memory. So this time I will add the Glacier Express. Kim, If your itinerary can fit in one of the Scene Route, that will be the Glacier Express!

The SBB Mobile App should keep in your smart phone too, you will find it very useful when you actually travel. It even show you by foot step how to change the next leg when it is not in the same station.

In 2012 trip to Switzerland, I had some photos took in Lucerne, Mt. Platus and BEX want to share, would be better post in the report thread, right?

Tommy

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2018 at 17:20:16 #899946

Hi Tommy,

Feel free to post photos on this thread (or any thread) if they are pertinent to the thread topic. 🙂

• The thread ‘Help with train planning & Swiss Travel Pass usage’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.