Route to traverse Switzerland by train in 4 days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2018 at 14:31:57 #816725

We are seeking your expert advice on how to traverse Switzerland over 4 days with our Switzerland Travel Pass. Thank you sincerely for your time!

We are planning to leave Paris 7am and getting into Geneva around 10:30. Then an hour later arrival in Montreux. After a couple hours there (the Chillon Castle and views of Lake Geneva), should we head to Wengen for the night or stay somewhere lower?

Day 2 we are hoping to go up to Schilthorn and explore Grindelwald/First. Please recommend a route.

Day 3 Would it be impossible/ foolish to head out of Wengen early, to attempt either one if these 2 loops:

a) Luzern to have lunch, then to Bern for a couple hours, dinner in Thun, back to Wengen hotel….or if reverse direction is more scenic?

b) Thun, Bern for lunch, Luzern for a couple hours, then back to Wengen hotel. We are hoping to spend a couple hours walking around the towns of Bern & Luzern just to be able to appreciate the difference between them.

Day 4: overnight in Zermatt before heading to Venice.

Thank you all kindly

Connie Hoang

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2018 at 6:14:57 #888686

Hi Connie,

I’d go straight to Wengen.

There are two routes from Wengen to go Schilthorn and we describe them here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/schilthorn/getti ngthere – I’d make it a round-trip.

First is by cable car from Grindelwald.

With an early start both of your day trip options can work.

Use the timetable to find schedules for any trip between towns or up into the mountains: https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable – play around with the schedules to see what fits best for your preference.

I think Thun – Bern – Luzern and back via Interlaken is a nice option. Between Luzern and Interlaken you can travel on the Luzern-Interlaken Express.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2018 at 14:01:36 #888687

Thank you very much. This is such a valuable forum. I wish there is one like this for other countries too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 June 2018 at 16:18:01 #888688

Me too!

• The thread ‘Route to traverse Switzerland by train in 4 days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.